How to Introduce Chicks to Flock

Devyn Nagy

Crowing
Jun 2, 2020
Michigan, USA
I would like to add two chicks to my existing flock of 6 G.L.Wyandottes. I have absolutely no experience adding new members to the flock, so I'm asking you all for your experience and insight.
Some questions:
  • How old do they need to be?
  • How do I make the initial introduction?
  • How do I feed the mixture of layers and pullets?
  • What if there's too much fighting?
I'll add more questions if I think of them.
Thanks!

Hi there, here are some articles on this topic that are hopefully helpful for some of your question:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/?page=4

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-integrate-your-chicken-flock-the-easy-way.63034/

I've had good luck putting the newbies outside in a separate but adjacent enclosure once they are fully feathered (around 5 weeks), and then fully integrating them at 8-10 weeks. My run is large with lots of hiding places for pullets, which helps reduce conflict. I also provide multiple feeders/waterers for awhile in order to further reduce fighting and make sure everyone gets what they need. Once the pullets and layers are mixed, I feel them all starter or grower feed until the newbies are close to laying. You'll have to use your judgement as to how much fighting to allow, the most important thing is to make sure no one is actually getting hurt. Pullets are pretty good at running and hiding if given the space to do so.

Good luck with your new chicks!

I would like to add two chicks to my existing flock of 6 G.L.Wyandottes. I have absolutely no experience adding new members to the flock, so I'm asking you all for your experience and insight.
How much room do you have? How big, in feet, is your coop? How big, in feet, is your run? Some photos showing the inside of your coop and showing your run could come in very handy. When will you add them, thinking about Michigan weather? Do the older chickens have access to the run when they are awake or will they be locked in the coop section only. Where do you plan to brood them? How old will the chicks be when you get them? Just hatched or point of lay?

Some questions:
This depends on your set-up and how you manage them. My brooder is in the coop, the chicks go there straight out of the incubator or from the post office. Essentially they grow up with the flock. I have a fairly large coop (8' x 12') and over 3,000 square feet outside that they pretty much have access to right after they wake up in the morning. My chicks are basically roaming with the adults at five weeks. If you don't raise them with the flock and if you don't have sufficient room you can't do that. That's why all the questions above, it makes a difference.

Depends on how old they are and your set-up. There are some generic things we generally suggest as we don't know anything about your set-up or their age. Generally house them across wire for a while so they get used to each other. When you do let them out together give them as much room as you can. You may be able to improve the quality of what room you have by adding clutter. Clutter means things they can hide under, behind, or over. Something that breaks line of sight. Widely separated feeding and watering stations can help. Then there are tricks that might apply depending on what your facilities look like or how old they are.

How do I feed the mixture of layers and pullets?
Growing chicks should not eat a high calcium diet. You can get a lot of debate on how much protein you need to feed a mixed age flock like that. For me, I'd feed them all a low calcium feed of whatever protein content you are happy with and offer oyster shell on the side for the ones that need the calcium for their egg shells. The ones that need that calcium seem to know it, the others might eat some oyster shell but shouldn't eat enough to hurt themselves.

What if there's too much fighting?
Then you deal with it. What you need to do depends on the regular things: age, set-up, and room. Knowing what that fighting looks like and when and where it takes place may help us come up with specific suggestions.

More chicks certainly makes things easier, but introducing 2 pullets should be fine as long as they aren't too small and the housing conditions are conducive.
I had two pullets added to the flock once and they were terrified which caused them to be bullied a lot more Which made them hide all the time. When I had four pullets they had more courage and would keep to themselves And we’re not bullied as often and we’re confident enough to wander freely.

The information that @swamphiker and @Ridgerunner have given you is great.

You'll find a lot of threads about people integrating chicks into their flock here. These are some of my experiences:

This one is for some started pullets I was given when they were 4 weeks old and off heat:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24483513

These are threads about my chick orders, including how I raised them in my outdoor brooder and then integrated them with the flock:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24479134
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24928420

Do you have the chicks already? The easiest method I have done is brooding the chicks in the coop. They have a see but no touch setup until around 3-4 weeks then I set up a see but no touch setup in the run for another 2ish weeks. I will say that it will also depend on the temperament of your older flock. I've had 2 week old chicks escape once and my bigger girls paid them no mind. I just can't let them stay in the run because it's so big and they still need the heat source.

Some questions:
  • How do I feed the mixture of layers and pullets?
  • What if there's too much fighting?
I'll add more questions if I think of them.
Thanks!

I integrated chicks this fall at about 6 weeks. I have a large dog crate I place inside the hoop coop. The chicks lived for about a week in the crate. I let them loose early am and monitored that day. It was successful.

I’ve got a big area inside my coop that only little ones can get in and out of. In this area they have perches, water and food of their own. They dart in and out as they please but no full grown chickens can get in there. For the first month i didn’t see them outside of that area much but as they got curious - they started venturing around the yard. There are lots of small places they can dart behind if they get chased but for the most part everyone has kind of figured out their places. The chicks are about 3 months old now and still perch eat and drink in their area. I can only think they are doing this now out of habit not bc they get picked on but they haven’t shared their reasoning with me yet…

Here is a recent pic of the little ones hanging out in their area

Attachments

• 5BB78FFC-52AD-49DF-92EF-C1A24A1D9EB3.jpeg
    5BB78FFC-52AD-49DF-92EF-C1A24A1D9EB3.jpeg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom