How to introduce hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shauna's Silkies, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Shauna's Silkies

Shauna's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ireland :D
    Hi,i am introducing 3hens to 1hen tomorrow.. I am doing it this way because we only have 1hen left out of four and i decided to get more.. I am wondering should i introduce the 3 straight away and they will be fine or what? I think. These hens are about 2 weeks till they lay. Thanks :D

UPDATE: i have added the hens to my 1 hen... they fought at the start and my 1 hen is pecking them all the time. Last night was fine she slept in her place and they slept in theirs.. But this morning she will not leave them out of the house and when they do come out she pecks them and hunts them to go back in. the hens need food so i have seperated the 1 hen into a cage beside them. what should i do now?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    It is recommended to quarantine or keep the new chickens away from your current flock for 3 to 4 weeks to make sure they don't have an illness they just aren't showing signs of. If this isn't possible, can you separate them in the coop somehow so they have some face time before being combined together so they won't pick on each other so much?

3. Mikee1948

Mikee1948 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    If the hens are close in size and age, there shouldn't be a problem. I dumped three pullets into my coop to join my one remaining pullet. There were no problems. Recently, I added two pullets to the now four hens, and they don't like the new comers. I have separate food and water dishes for them. After 8 days, peace is starting to return.

4. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    thanks for your help . The new hens are young they will lay in about a month. The 1hen is about 1yr :) But im still stuck. I taught because they is only 1 hen everything would be ok i was expecting a bit of pecking tough?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    I have no clue what to do with my hen? I need help now? Please :)

6. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Put her in the coop and let her beat them up. Feathers are fine but blood is bad so leave them to it and don't split up the fights they get over it after a day:)

7. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    But y should i let them get beating up? There is only 1 of her and 4 of them they should get along? She has been alone for a very long time about 5months i think

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    there is no way to stop her from pecking them while they work out who is in charge. Be glad that it's her and not THEM as the 3 of them could have decided to gang up on her, since they are an established group.

9. Shauna's Silkies

Jun 29, 2011
    Ok il try but should i let them get used to each other

10. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    They won't fight for ever it will only last a day or to then she will be happy being part of a flock again:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by