How to introduce new chicks to the flock?

Gazinga

Chook Norris
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Palm Springs, California
I have 5 BO chicks which are 7 weeks old, how old do they have to be in order to introduce them to the rest of the flock, how do i do it? I just dont want them beat up when i put them in the yard in general population.

you could put them in a pen in the coop and keep them their for a week,then let them out in the run or yard during the day with the other birds, penning them back up in the evening. I would keep them in the pen/cage for a few weeks so the other birds can get used to seeing them, but can't harm them. When you finally do let them run free in the coop, do it at their bedtime. I hope this helps!
smile.png

ive been keeping mine seperated for about a week or so now....gonna wait a couple more weeks then put them together.

Mine are seven weeks old.
I moved their tractor into the backyard where the big girls free-range. The hens checked them out a few days through the wire, but seemed unimpressed.
For the past few days, I've let the chicks out for an hour before dark. the hens seemed more interested in the tastey chick feed in the tractor than in the chicks. They try pecking them if the chicks come too close or try to eat what they're going for. I think they'll be fine out in the open, but I know they aren't ready to be shut up together in the coop or run.
I'd rather they establish their pecking order out in the open where escape is possible and the babies can't be cornered.

Back
Top Bottom