How to introduce new chicks...

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I have six hens that I got in April 2020, they are currently in a run that is made up 10ft chain link dog kennel panels (I have 12 panels) with chicken wire attached. I have 12 new baby chicks coming in March. Once they are ready to go outside should I separate them from the big girls? Since the panels can be moved I have the option of splitting the current run in two. I was thinking about keeping them side by side but separate for a few weeks. Do I need to wait until the littles are 100% grown to combine them?

Where are you planning on brooding them?

I do early integration so the chicks grow up with the flock and start interacting with them as early as 10-14 days: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

You'll notice I have a split run but I rarely use it to actually contain chicks. However due to the way the fence is built (no bottom rail on the split part) the chicks do use the fence to dart between the two sides to get to "safety" if needed, so it's a nice bonus. By around 8 weeks they're too big to fit any longer.

Back
Top Bottom