1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to introduce new ducklings to existing small flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckgirlz, Apr 6, 2012.

1. duckgirlz

duckgirlz New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to introduce and at what age to introduce the new ducklings to a flock? We have 3 cayugas, 1 Drake and 2 Hens that are almost a year. We are receiving our new ducklings at the end of this month. 1 ancona and 1 welsh harlequin which are straight run. How do we introduce them? Thanks.

2. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I would guess, as far as age went, that you would put them out with the others when they are old enough to leave the brooder. Of course that depends on what part of the country you are in. Mine are 3 weeks old and still haven't got to go outside for even a little bit because of the cold temps we have been having. If you live somewhere warm then I would wait until the new ducklings are big enough to not get hurt if they get stepped on.

A duck lady told me to put them in with the older ducks at night when they are more quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by