How to introduce one 5 week old duckling to a 16 week old flock of 3

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xx_li_xx, Nov 12, 2019.

1. xx_li_xx

xx_li_xx Chirping

Sep 30, 2019
    UK
    I have a beautiful female welshie who is now 5 weeks and currently living indoors as her brothers and sisters have all gone to new homes- sadly I could only accommodate one of the seven I hatched. She is doing wonderful and seems to really enjoy being in with us all. Especially me , she follows me everywhere. of course eventually she needs to go outside, I’m not sure how to do this, she has had 15/20 mins visits outside with the older ones , she tends to run if they come too close to her and one of them is a little pushy but not overly mean.

When should I be looking at longer visits out or overnight stays

any advice appreciated

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Can you set up a separate pen for her so she can become familiar through the fence? That's what I would do with supervised mingling for a while.

Duckfarmer1 and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    X 2!

Duckfarmer1 and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  4. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Yes..I always introduce my ducks by putting them in side by side pens..this has meant, for us, building many extensions onto our pen! But, for one, a dog crate would be great..she can she them..visa Versa..do this about 5-7 days..until they freely mingle during the day..plus less time with you inside...I’m sorry..but she needs to learn to be an outside duck or she’ll only get confused....they will pick on her for a bit..that’s how it is..but she’ll be ok...I’ve integrated soo many..I have 43... you can do it..it’s what’s best for her..ducks are social creatures...

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: