How to introduce pullets into coop?

Brahmaman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Centennial Colorado
I have two pullets and i have tried to introduce them into the coop with the two older chickens but the older ones peck the younger ones until they bleed. I have let the old ones and young ones rome free in the backyard and they seem fine with each other until i put them in the coop. I have heard of using wire but i don't have any that is small enough. What should i do?

How old are they? How do they compare in size to the older ones? Are there any other options to putting them in the same coop right now? You definitely cannot leave them in there if the older ones are drawing blood on the young ones. The older ones could and probably would kill them. Give us a little more detail to help you.

If you can put them in a cage or wire next to the older ones where they can socialize for a while, I used some plastic fence in the run with a small hole cut in one area for the smaller ones to have a place to retreat to, until they got used to each other. It is also best to wait until they are similar in size.. I the end they still will have to solve the pecking order. I have also added them in at night, so that when the new morning comes they are there, but still had some skirmishes.

They are about 10 weeks old. And i did take them out of the coop once i noticed that on of them had a little blood drawn. and they are about half of the size of the other ones.

You really need to find a way to keep them in the coop, but separate from the older hens for a while. The pullets need a place to get away from the hens and the hens need some time to get used to them. Right now they are seeing the as intruders and that's why they are trying to kill them. Sometimes a wire dog crate works well, or some other type of shelter for the pullets to live in until the hens learn to accept them, or at least not try to hurt them.

You are not alone. I will soon be in the same scenario. I have been reading,researching, and reading some more.
I have 6 new chicks that need to integrate with 2 older girls this summer. I plan on keeping them seperate until the chicks are at least 3/4 the size of the mature hens. I think I have come to terms that either the older hens will accept them or they will not be sticking around....period. The 1 older hen doesn't even lay anymore so she is not earning her keep. I will give them the oppurtunity but will not tolerate ongoing aggression.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you do to eliminate your pecking situation.

Back
Top Bottom