How to keep a blind duck happy and healthy

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
So there was an ad online about a blind Cayuga duck born only this spring, and the owner was looking fir a new home for her and if not he was gonna cull her. It just broke my heart I just couldn’t let that happen, so now she’s in my baby barn with my ducks and chickens. I’m just wondering about some tips on how to keep her healthy and happy. Oh and her name is Faith she is beautiful!

So there was an ad online about a blind Cayuga duck born only this spring, and the owner was looking fir a new home for her and if not he was gonna cull her. It just broke my heart I just couldn’t let that happen, so now she’s in my baby barn with my ducks and chickens. I’m just wondering about some tips on how to keep her healthy and happy. Oh and her name is Faith she is beautiful!
Are you from Nova scotia? Because i think i seen the same add on kijiji.ca... i messaged them but i couldnt get the time to drive there from halifax. i wouldve loved to have her

Theres a few people on here with blind ducks. @Miss Lydia can you remember anybody?

Are you from Nova scotia? Because i think i seen the same add on kijiji.ca... i messaged them but i couldnt get the time to drive there from halifax. i wouldve loved to have her

Theres a few people on here with blind ducks. @Miss Lydia can you remember anybody?
Yes! I live very close to the fella who was giving her away. As soon as I saw the ad I asked that he let me know if no one else asked about her, and for him not to cull her, if no one else asked I would take her. I was nervous cause I’m not that knowledgeable about ducks anyway. Mine are pretty healthy thankfully. I waited A few days and he still had her, so I went to get her and I’m glad I did there is something very special about her.

Keep her safe from the others until they are use to her anything out of the ordinary they will pick up on an especially the chickens could do serious injury. If you haven’t I’d put her where everyone can see each other but no one has access to her. Bless you for taking her in!

Yes! I live very close to the fella who was giving her away. As soon as I saw the ad I asked that he let me know if no one else asked about her, and for him not to cull her, if no one else asked I would take her. I was nervous cause I’m not that knowledgeable about ducks anyway. Mine are pretty healthy thankfully. I waited A few days and he still had her, so I went to get her and I’m glad I did there is something very special about her.

Wow iam soo happy now! i was so worried about her fate and now i know she has a great home :highfive:

If you need help with her do not hesitate to ask and post lots of pictures.

Enjoy eh!
Keep her safe from the others until they are use to her anything out of the ordinary they will pick up on an especially the chickens could do serious injury. If you haven’t I’d put her where everyone can see each other but no one has access to her. Bless you for taking her in!
:thumbsup:goodpost:

So today faith walked right to one of the water dishes and drank and found the food dish right next to it and ate! I was so excited. When I first brought her home a few days ago she would just spin in circles and run into things. She seemed weak as well. But I’ve been bringing food and water to her multiple times a day and she seems a lot stronger! I have a big hanging feeder and then 2 big water dishes in one area of the baby barn, and then in another corner I have a hanging bucket for food and another one for water( the buckets were supposed to be for my goose Winnie but everyone eats and drinks out of them) faith does well eating and drinking out of the buckets I think because they are so close together.

Do ducks have any sense of smell? When I try to bring little dishes of food and water and put it directly in front of her she doesn’t do anything but if I gently put her bill in the water or food she goes crazy for it. Or if one of the other ducks come over and drink out of the water that’s next to her then she starts drinking too. Should I just let her find the feeding stations by herself like she is doing now or should I pick her up and bring her to the feeding stations. Should I continue to bring little dishes of food and water to her?

She likes to relax under a table and ramp that’s in the coop. I went to check on her a little while ago and found everyone laying near her. You can’t see her that well. She’s the black one under the table, next to my older Muscovy teddy. My younger Muscovy hope is on the table, and my khaki Campbell mocha and goose Winnie are sharing a little dog bed. And the chickens are all laying on the other side of her.

2A369ECB-30FC-4CA1-93CB-ADDD9DF09035.jpeg

6E14953C-B130-4A20-B6D8-CBE489DACE9C.jpeg

View attachment 1920096 I have a Pekin drake that is partially blind. He came from the pound with his girlfriend, a kahki Campbell, and his pal, a mallard.
He isn’t as blind as I thought, he gets around ok, but definitely has blind spots, and can get easily frightened when you suddenly appear to him.
His friends definitely help him get around by quacking. Sadly sometimes they get quiet and ditch him at times. He quacks loudly and paces when that happens. He finds his food ok, but does not see treats and food on the ground, so he’s kinda skinny for a Pekin.
Keep stuff in the same place, don’t change things and she should be fine. Thanks for rescuing her!!

Pictured, Polo, Marco, and Ruby

Back
Top Bottom