How to keep a chicken warm in the winter?

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hey everyone! I have a chicken who is currently molting. She's lost a lot of her feathers, and the weather is getting down to 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit at night. The days are getting to be about 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. Very rarely, we will have warm days. Anyone have any ideas about how to keep her warm?

The same thing is happening to me. I have 3 hens that are all molting right now. It has gotten below freezing a couple of times here in PA. They seem to be fine though. If they are too cold they go into the house and hang out in there instead of the run. If your gal seems to be super cold, then you could try putting a heat lamp -like you would have for chicks- in the house so that she could have the option to hang out there.

The same thing is happening to me. I have 3 hens that are all molting right now. It has gotten below freezing a couple of times here in PA. They seem to be fine though. If they are too cold they go into the house and hang out in there instead of the run. If your gal seems to be super cold, then you could try putting a heat lamp -like you would have for chicks- in the house so that she could have the option to hang out there.
Thank you! Would putting a heat-lamp in the house cause any problems, though? We have a small house for the chickens, and I don't think our heat lamp would fit. I could buy a smaller heat lamp, but could it possibly light something on fire? I'm sorry for the stupid questions 😅.
It's my second year of raising chickens, and last year we had a chicken, who was molting, freeze to death at the end of winter. We're trying not to make the same mistake again.

Thank you! Would putting a heat-lamp in the house cause any problems, though? We have a small house for the chickens, and I don't think our heat lamp would fit. I could buy a smaller heat lamp, but could it possibly light something on fire? I'm sorry for the stupid questions 😅.
It's my second year of raising chickens, and last year we had a chicken, who was molting, freeze to death at the end of winter. We're trying not to make the same mistake again.
As long as you keep it suspended up high enough above the bedding you should be just fine. We used a heat lamp to keep some pullets and ducks warm back in April using a heat lamp outside. Just be careful.

Would putting a heat-lamp in the house cause any problems, though?
It could indeed.
I have had a few chicken molt late and some even go thru the entire winter with bare backs,
they were fine.

Am guessing there were other things at play.

You can put a sweater on chickens.
Please don't, not a good idea.
Can actually inhibit their keeping themselves warm and interfere with growing pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom