How to keep a new rooster from leaving

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zsanderson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. zsanderson

zsanderson New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi everyone, I joined BYC to ask this question: We have a flock of 6 hens, and adopted a fully grown rooster yesterday. He was happy with the ladies, and all was well, until we went to check on him and he was GONE! His wings are clipped, so my guess is that he either weaseled his way out of our yard through the fence slats, or else jumped onto a low wall, then onto a higher one, and finally jumped over the fence.

It took us a good while finding and catching him again, at which point I locked him into the coop. The hens only get put in there overnight, and they all seemed to be getting along well.

My question is: how can I keep "Jack" from trying to run off? I'm guessing he is looking for his old home? We raised all of our hens from chicks, so they never try to escape, even though their wings are not clipped. Should I keep him in the coop day and night for a few days so he will realize this is his "new home"?

Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll try to get to where they slept before for a while. Once they sleep contentedly in the same building a few nights they'll accept that as their new home.

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yes he needs some time before it sinks in that this is where he's meant to stay. Keep him locked up in the coop for a while with everything he needs, and give him lots of treats to make him happy. If he's happy he'll want to stay in the area. Good luck!

4. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    x2

5. zsanderson

zsanderson New Egg

Jan 13, 2013
    Thank you all SO MUCH for your advice. I kept the rooster locked up for 4 nights/3 days. At first he would not leave the roost, not even to eat. By the second day, we wanted to get out, but couldn't. Some of our hens would stand in front of the coop to go in with him, and I would let them, so he had company. :) Yesterday, day 4, he was let out and made no attempt to leave. He even let us pick him up and hold him. At night, he readily headed for the coop. YAY!!!! So happy! :)

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by