How to keep animals out of this???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheChickMan, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Next fall after my garden has been depleated of everything i deem edible my self, I want to let my chickens eat everything left over. It is 25 by 80 and i have to fence it in if i let them out. I need help because i also have cats and a dog who would love to get underneath of there and have a chicken supper. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make a temporary fence animal proof ? and what foods can chickens not eat, ive heard tomatoes are bad, was just wondering if there is any other ones. comments appreciated greatly

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I have not heard of tomatoes being bad. Mine eat them often. I do know onions and garlic will flavor the eggs. For the most part, chickens won't eat what they shouldn't. It does happen, though. There should be a list in the learning center.
    As for animal proofing, I used bricks on the outside of the fence. This year I am putting the fencing into the ground, and making it permanent.
    Unless you have chicks or bantams, cats are not much of a threat. Chickens are bigger than them.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    You could surround the garden with Premier's electrified poultry netting. That would make for a quick and easily movable fence. You can power it up with a solar or household electrics. And tomatoes are alright for chickens, my birds love em.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by