How to keep automatic watering system clean

Wisegirl99

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
We have built and installed a PVC watering system with the red horizontal nipples. Just yesterday I opened the top to fill more water, and the water really smells! I always add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water when I fill the water. How do I clean the system out and get rid of the smell?

Flush the system, including each Nipple, with 1/2C Regular Clorox Bleach, it's food Safe, in a Gallon of Water. Allow it to Air Dry. No need to rinse, the Chlorine will evaporate. What is your water source?...JJ

I use water from my hose. It's city water.

How much water does it hold. How much are you giving to add.
My waterer holds 7 gallons
My flock only uses 2 a day because they also drink from a pond.
So I only allows 3 gallons a day in my waterer. I use a float to make sure I don't have more than the 3 gallons.
Every day it's almost fresh water for them.
Sometimes we thank more is less work.
Just like with food. We should be only giving them enough to get through the day.

I considered going with a PVC watering system and this is exactly what changed my mind. I had a feeling I would have trouble keeping it clean, so I went instead with nipples on a 5 gallon bucket so I could easily scrub it out.

That said, I agree with @Chef JimmyJ. Clorox is your easiest and safest bet. The one thing I would add is to let the Clorox solution sit in the system for 5-10 minutes before flushing it out. Chlorine takes a little time to sanitize, especially if you have a biofilm built up (which it sounds like you do). Since you can't get into the system to scrub that out, you need to give the chlorine time to break it down. Normally, 2 minutes is enough to disinfect, but I'd give it a bit longer to make sure it has penetrated that biofilm. Obviously, you will have to keep the chickens from drinking from the system while it is being disinfected. Either isolate them away from the system or place some tape over the nipples to restrict access.

City water is typically clean. This may just be a fluke. Contamination from the air with growth in the heat. I agree with Zoo, let it soak. Start from the system disinfected and see what happens. Skip the ACV to isolate if the smell coming from the water...JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom