How to keep bald eagles away from my coop and run

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
So I live in Nova Scotia and where I live I don’t often see hawks but we have many bald eagles. It’s nothing to look out the window and see one somewhere off in the distance. But I have never had one circling near my house. I’ve had my coop and run for over a year, since last year I had Muscovy ducks, this year I’ve added some chicken and a khaki Campbell. So I’ve got 4 chickens, a Muscovy and a khaki Campbell almost 3 months old. And a year old Muscovy. This morning shortly after I opened the door to their coop to let them out into their covered run( covered with netting) I was sitting outside their coop watching them when I noticed a bald eagle flying, in the empty field next to me, then it flew closer in to my property( I’m on a 3 1/2 acre lot in the country) then was flying and circling directly behind my run. It started making some weird high pitched noise, and just kept circling. I heard my barred rock rooster make a weird noise then the ducks and chickens ran inside their coop.

I ran in my house and grabbed my German Shepherd and got him to run around the property for a while a few minutes later the eagle left and the chickens and ducks came back out. All the while a crow sitting up in the tree of my neighbours yard was crowing pretty angrily. So how on earth can I keep bald eagles away? Do they usually attack chickens or ducks? If so I wonder why I’ve never had trouble with one before.

So I live in Nova Scotia and where I live I don’t often see hawks but we have many bald eagles. It’s nothing to look out the window and see one somewhere off in the distance. But I have never had one circling near my house. I’ve had my coop and run for over a year, since last year I had Muscovy ducks, this year I’ve added some chicken and a khaki Campbell. So I’ve got 4 chickens, a Muscovy and a khaki Campbell almost 3 months old. And a year old Muscovy. This morning shortly after I opened the door to their coop to let them out into their covered run( covered with netting) I was sitting outside their coop watching them when I noticed a bald eagle flying, in the empty field next to me, then it flew closer in to my property( I’m on a 3 1/2 acre lot in the country) then was flying and circling directly behind my run. It started making some weird high pitched noise, and just kept circling. I heard my barred rock rooster make a weird noise then the ducks and chickens ran inside their coop.

I ran in my house and grabbed my German Shepherd and got him to run around the property for a while a few minutes later the eagle left and the chickens and ducks came back out. All the while a crow sitting up in the tree of my neighbours yard was crowing pretty angrily. So how on earth can I keep bald eagles away? Do they usually attack chickens or ducks? If so I wonder why I’ve never had trouble with one before.

Bald Eagles prefer to fish. But a juvenile will certainly have a go at a chicken. A friend of mine routinely has losses in her flock to a Bald Eagle.
If your run is covered with a net, you should be okay.
The strange noise you heard from your rooster was an aerial predator alert. That is why the flock ran for cover. Good for him for spotting the threat and letting everyone know to take shelter.
As for deterring the eagle, there really isn't anything you can do to stop any of them from checking out the chickens. They are predators and your chickens are prey. Protect the prey.

Bald Eagles prefer to fish. But a juvenile will certainly have a go at a chicken. A friend of mine routinely has losses in her flock to a Bald Eagle.
If your run is covered with a net, you should be okay.
The strange noise you heard from your rooster was an aerial predator alert. That is why the flock ran for cover. Good for him for spotting the threat and letting everyone know to take shelter.
As for deterring the eagle, there really isn't anything you can do to stop any of them from checking out the chickens. They are predators and your chickens are prey. Protect the prey.

Well that’s good then that the rooster made that noise. Out of the 4 chicks I got, 2 are for sure roosters so hopefully they can earn the keep:yesss:

After watching Bald Eagles grab sheep off the mountain ledges.. Not even sure my dogs would deter one trying to get to my birds if they were really determined.. Be safe for your GSD

Living in Juneau Alaska many years Bald Eagles will go after anything if you do not have aviary netting please do not wait to order some Amazon carries huge ones I have two nets here in Washington state now once the Eagle knows you have birds they will be back you GSD and roosters are your best defense

Back
Top Bottom