How to keep brooder clean, dry, and not smelling so bad?And building a new brooder?

Definitely do what you can to contain the water, they don't make it easy! I have a large dog crate that my current batch are in and I found that a cement mixing tray (similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad...ERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-205451585-_-N&) fits inside nicely with just enough space on the end for a pair of cake pans for their food and water. I put skinny pavers along the side of the pan to give them gentle stairs to get in and out band keep them from getting in behind the slanted part at the other end (where it's pressed up against the end of the crate). The higher wall goes a long way to keeping their bedding dry.
I've also found towels (the smooth kind, at least) to be quicker to clean up than shavings/straw. Their poop doesn't stick to them too much and it takes less than two minutes to scoop out the old ones and toss in the new ones. I'm still looking forward to when I can move them out of the garage and into the run, though!

Back
Top Bottom