How to keep chickens cool

Welcome! You already have an advantage by having open ventilation. I lived in Black Canyon with chickens, which cools off a bit faster than Phx, and I used a small swamp cooler which was designed for outdoors. The trouble, as you're concerned about, is that the heat of the day is at roost time. How to get the birds to sit on an ice-block while roosting?? I have a cheap misting system with all but 1-2 of the nozzles replaced with plugs. I have one nozzle aimed at the entrance to the roosting area and the nesting area, so they don't get blasted with mist, but it cools down the area. The other just the general pen area. I used dto use a combined bucket top misting fan but it's misting component broke. Another option, is a plain box fan (I'd bungee a cheap air filter to the back), and either a wet sheet clipped in front of it or a mister in front of it. Sort of a cheap evap cooler.

Here's a link to the state thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/arizona.1138230/

And here's an article on cooling the birds:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-keep-chickens-cool-in-the-summer.72276/

I'm with you there, we are getting so close to triple digits here in Nevada. My Dominiques are tolerating it better than my bantam mixes.

The past few days we've been in the high 90s so I've been freezing water with fruit, frozen blueberries are a favorite, and their mister has made a huge difference. Today, I purchased an 18" Ryobi hybrid air cannon fan than I can run on a cord during the day and batteries at night so we'll see how that does with time.

Here in New Orleans, when the temps soar, we use plastic for water coolers and under shady trees. The plastic doesn't last as long as metal does. But also doesn't get hot as quickly. My garden is next to the area that the chickens frequent the most. So when I water the garden, I make sure it mists into the hens yard some. They seem to like that as well. We also have lots of shade areas. And dust bathing is done in shaded areas. One place is just a large hole. I keep telling DH, we are going to come out one day and find an oriental meal in the back yard. :th

I'm with you there, we are getting so close to triple digits here in Nevada. My Dominiques are tolerating it better than my bantam mixes.

The past few days we've been in the high 90s so I've been freezing water with fruit, frozen blueberries are a favorite, and their mister has made a huge difference. Today, I purchased an 18" Ryobi hybrid air cannon fan than I can run on a cord during the day and batteries at night so we'll see how that does with time.
I’m in Las Vegas and use misters all day right now with the frozen fruits n veggies cooled watermelon snacks work good. As for night time inside the coop at night i have an AC swamp cooler that is working. I still feel bad for them panting n the younger spring hatched ones seem to struggle more than my older hens n Roo from last year.

I’m in Las Vegas and use misters all day right now with the frozen fruits n veggies cooled watermelon snacks work good. As for night time inside the coop at night i have an AC swamp cooler that is working. I still feel bad for them panting n the younger spring hatched ones seem to struggle more than my older hens n Roo from last year.
Hello from over the pass! 🙂 I've been kicking my misters on around 11 but we typically run a couple degrees cooler than Vegas. Mine are ecstatic with frozen blueberries and frozen watermelon quarters. They love laying in the wet dirt. I want to add A/C but I feel it's such a fire risk especially given how often fires happen here. I believe we'll likely hit record highs again this summer.

Back
Top Bottom