How to keep chickens off patio?

free range them but just fence off what you don't want them near... like kids play area/yard around he house with sturdy movable chickenwire (green rubber coated kind isnt so ugly)...I know its a pain, and probably not pretty to have fencing everywhere....but- you all KNOW what the alternative is.......

POOP EVERYWHERE!!!!!

:/yuckers!
tongue.png

e

I don't free-range my chickens all-day, everyday. They are out for several hours when there's someone to watch them.

They know better than to venture onto the deck. I've had other chickens, and they learned too.
They risk having water thrown on them
ep.gif
!

It doesn't take much. I've even dipped my fingers in the saucer of the potted plants and "flicked" it at them. Or, the plastic sprayer for misting the plants (set on "stream") works great. Of course, the hose . . .

I've never understood what the lure is for dirt and the aversion to water is all about with a chicken. But, the soft dirt under the deck has great appeal. The drops of water to be expected on the deck is to be avoided.

Steve

Last edited:
Who ever figures this out deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. This is the only thing my wife hates about my chickens. I've tried decorative fencing around the pool deck....no luck, they squeeze through or hop over. I never feed them from the deck but on a hot day, they seem to prefer it over the grass.
I have had several of them try to fly over the pool length wise...poor decision. The result is a hilarious 'ditching' in the pool. The first time I saw this I rushed outside to save the drowning bird only to discover they float very much like a duck and they have no problem swimming over to the edge of the pool and hopping out. That said...none of the swimmers has ever tried to fly across the pool again!

I feel lucky that my chickens like me enough not to let me out of their sight and that they want to spend all their time with me. I can tell that all is right with the world by just listening to them.
celebrate.gif

They let me know what is going on by their constant chatting. There is bawk, bawk. Purrr……peep, peep. And baaaawk… when there is danger!
D.gif

Get over it! It is not radioactive waste.
ep.gif
Healthy chicken poop is the easiest to clean up. What else have you got to do? Intimate contact with your animals is beneficial.
thumbsup.gif

Since my C-birds have been outside all of nature has come to visit me. They watch me too. The neighborhood birds are bringing their babies into my yard for me to watch. I think because they know it is safe.
yippiechickie.gif
I am now out in the yard more and it makes me happier.

I am willing to put up with a little chicken poop for that honor.
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

This has been a funny topic- i made the mistake of feeding mine a couple slices of bread off the side of the porch too,- every time I let them loose in the yard, they are on the porch staring in the screen door for me.

Quote:
Duly noted!!! My daughter just started feeding our girls cheerios out the back sliding glass door. Now we constantly hear peck peck peck on the glass door and a see a bunch of hungry beaks and... um... piles of "used cheerios".

lol.. sounds like something I would have done years ago before I realized animals can be something other then cute.. LOL Fortunately.. I do feed my girls off the deck.. HOWEVER the key is its 10 feet off the ground and they only really come over when they see me come out.. and I too will purposely soak them some cheerios in a bowl of water for a minute.. and start throwing them down.. they love it..

I "broke" the girls from going into my garden by turning on the sprinkler every time I saw them pecking around. It only took one weekend to break them of the habit. Perhaps this method would work on a deck, patio or carport. If not, at least it will wash away the poop.

Back
Top Bottom