How to keep chickens safe from cats & hawks?

I used CD's hanging from fishing line across my pens. An owl still killed several of the birds. I also put up motion lights and the predators got used to them. Now I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. All due to losses from predators in the past. I did run short on the good netting and used some crappy netting that an owl went through and killed some birds. I moved the birds to another coop and pen and put a camera up in the one the owl went through. I have since replaced the crappy netting with some good netting. The owl tried again and this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get it loose and into a cage and some wildlife rescue people came and got it.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg

These work good against cats and hawks.
IMG_2020-08-26_19-49-35.jpeg

We have three cats, one that used to kill chickens (upper left of image below) that were almost grown, which are not bothered. Strange cats will be killed in short order if they linger.

ZZZ TOO MUCH.jpg

For hawks we have a combination of cover patches, diverse demographics (big chickens that may fight hawk out with more vulnerable chickens), and where needed birds penned until latter part of day when peak hunting hours past.

You bigger problem is going to be Red Fox.

Back
Top Bottom