How to keep ducks cool?

Shayrae4

Chirping
Feb 1, 2021
How do you keep your ducks cool? We live in central California where summers are in the 90’s every day. It gets as hot as 105. It’s been in the 90’s this last week and my ducks have been panting every afternoon. They have some shady spots throughout the yard, but their favorite is under the porch swing on the concrete right up next to the house- and they spend pretty much all their time there, but they still pant. Is this okay? They have a pool but it’s in the sun and by the afternoon it’s too warm to be refreshing. I tried putting up an umbrella over the pool, but within a couple hours the pool Is in the sun again because of the movement of the sun. I tried dumping my entire automatic ice tray in the pool a couple times this week but it just melts and doesn’t cool down the pool at all 😂

any tips to keep them cool?

Attachments

• 52BA8C04-656E-4877-B009-D3CF2D652123.jpeg
    52BA8C04-656E-4877-B009-D3CF2D652123.jpeg
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 83BB50E7-434D-4AE0-A902-5845A0E0B9FB.jpeg
    83BB50E7-434D-4AE0-A902-5845A0E0B9FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 219E3CDE-5B22-4805-A5EE-64B494F22FFD.jpeg
    219E3CDE-5B22-4805-A5EE-64B494F22FFD.jpeg
    679 KB · Views: 14
i don’t have any pictures of them put together for some reason, but here is our “pool cover” that we put over all the duck pools. since they are made of more pools they are the exact same size, so they completely cover the pool no matter where the sun is. works perfectly but i still recommend changing the water daily

Attachments

• AED50E89-B8FB-4DB3-80C5-39A8161C383D.jpeg
    AED50E89-B8FB-4DB3-80C5-39A8161C383D.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 14
Provide shade, fresh cold drinking water (refilled a few times throughout the day), frozen bottles of water placed around the run, and offer frozen peas, blueberries, and watermelon, etc...
I add some ice to fresh water as well since it will thaw fast enough on those hot days. My chickens will lay against the frozen bottles of water, but I put them throughout the run so that the ducks can use them as well. I've never seen the ducks lay beside them, but that doesn't mean they don't, just that I've never seen them. :)

i don’t have any pictures of them put together for some reason, but here is our “pool cover” that we put over all the duck pools. since they are made of more pools they are the exact same size, so they completely cover the pool no matter where the sun is. works perfectly but i still recommend changing the water daily
That upside down pool is a great idea! I have a kiddie pool that has a slight leak - now I know how to reuse it! Do you attach it with anything in case it's windy?

This is super smart! So the wooden legs holding it up, is it like a frame to put it on? Or is each piece of wood unattached?

I saved up some water bottles. I fill them 3/4 full of water and keep them in the in the freezer. Don't put the cap on bottle because the expansion will likely split them. On hot days, I up some in the ducks water dishes and pools. As they thaw, I replace them with other frozen ones.

Back
Top Bottom