How to Keep Hawks Away?

Used to free range; lost bantams over few years. Now in a large coop and we let them out in the back of the coop that has trees between coop and fenceline. That really is not a solution as on our other coop a hawk sat on the fence and dropped down to get a hen not more than 12 feet from where we were standing....hen okay..hawk flew away. Have to be covered at all times....my sister uses guinea hens and peacocks to keep eye out for hawks, but I don't want the noise....our second coop has a sail shade in the summer and a canopy tent in winter (rain)...seems to be okay for now...

It is against the law to harm any Raptors also turkey buzzards. Remember we live on the Great Dismal Swamp wildlife reserve and we have a very diligent game warden. Besides, I know nothing about guns. The yard we are going to build will be awesome and even now, they have toys and pallets to go up and down and lots of yummy stuff to hunt. I am content and so are they. They said so ...

That's what I did. I built a scare Crow that turns with the wind, and I hung aa CD' from each of it's arms. I also hung a round pie tin from a near by limb with a washer, so that when the wind blows, it spins the pie tin causing the washer to bang against it making a noise. So far, 1year, no more hawk attacks. There's two or three of them I see pretty regularly.

Back
Top Bottom