How to Keep Hawks Away?

My husband and I have come up with this idea, not sure it will work . Has anyone tried this? We are going to get some posts 8' long attach umbrellas to them at the top, then lay deer netting between the umbrellas. this could protect a large area from sky attack. the umbrellas are there to diswade the hawk from coming down, if he/her does decide to come anyway he'll get caught in the netting. Does this sound fisable?

My husband and I have come up with this idea, not sure it will work . Has anyone tried this? We are going to get some posts 8' long attach umbrellas to them at the top, then lay deer netting between the umbrellas. this could protect a large area from sky attack. the umbrellas are there to diswade the hawk from coming down, if he/her does decide to come anyway he'll get caught in the netting. Does this sound fisable?

What do you think might happen when you get an updraft under an umbrella?

That might work, sounds like it could be a good way to hold up fine netting,
unless the wind plays havoc with the umbrellas....or just get a lot of snow.
Please do post pics.

I too would like to knowWe have had on chicken killed by a hawk and a second attack that wasn't too bad. I have been told that there is no way to stop this sort of attack but sitting on the back porch with a gun (you have to be a good shot) . SoI really would like to know TOO ?
Shooting a bird of pray is a good way to end up in jail with a hefty fine. Not to mention it is punishable by the feds not just the state.

I too would like to knowWe have had on chicken killed by a hawk and a second attack that wasn't too bad. I have been told that there is no way to stop this sort of attack but sitting on the back porch with a gun (you have to be a good shot) . SoI really would like to know
I have had four adorable and amazing chickens for almost 3 years now. I have never had any predator problems because we are in city limits so the amount of predators are minimal. My girls have always free-ranged in our backyard with no problems. The last few days for the first time, we are having a hawk (I think a red-tailed) visit and try to snatch one of them away. I was able to scare him off the first time, but the second time he was able to do some damage to Rhoda my RIR. Her injuries weren't too serious several feathers were pulled out and she had a few scrapes. I was able to wash out the cuts and am helping them heal. I was wondering how you guys keep your girls safe from hawks. Right now, they are cooped up in a shed that we turned into a chicken coop. It is small and doesn't get much light so it isn't ideal. I don't want to let them out in fear of the hawk coming again. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
We had several taken witin a weeks time last summer. Once hawks find a food source particularly in the spring while feeding their babies they can be relentless. I had to keep the hens in their enclosed run when we weren’t home to keep an eye out for the hawk. When we were home we’d let them free range and when the hawk came around we’d light off a few bottle rockets (of course not to harm the hawk but just up in the sky.) The noise was enough to make the hawk decide to move along to a different territory. We still keep watch and are prepared to repeat if they return this spring. A good alert to a hawk is to observe the wild birds, especially crows and blue jays, and squirrels. They all make quite a racket when a bird of prey is scoping things out. The hens pick up on this to and will high tail it for cover. Pretty cool how they all warn eachother of danger!

I have the same problem where I live. We have a lot of hawks and falcons. I let my dogs out with the chickens when I hear the falcons. But some things I’ve done besides that to deter them is hanging shiny metallic ribbon to scare them away. Also scarecrows can help if you move them every so often. If you’re able to provide something they can hide under that might help too. Mine run under our trees instead of going in their coop.

Have a plan for what to do if/when the hawk gets caught in the netting... it’s daunting dealing with an entangled bird with real talons and a sharp beak, same goes for the fishing line and cd’s idea.
Once caught in this sort of situation though the bird, if released, will usually avoid your yard in the future.

As for umbrellas... I’m recalling trying to get the broken and stuck in the open position patio umbrellas into our receiving bay at work in a windstorm. Nearly, “Mary-Poppins”’d one of our smaller employees and myself. So be cautious... they fly well!

A fake owl will sometimes work. They are both predators and territorial so that works sometimes on some hawks.
Kind of off the subject but we had a barred owl snag a weasel that I’m pretty sure had intentions of getting to our hens. It perched in a tree just beyond the coop and looked right at me with the weasel in its beak. I was so grateful! At first I thought the owl was after a hen but it must have been taking advantage of the weasel going after the hens. A weasel attack can be downright horrifying!

Back
Top Bottom