How to Keep Hawks Away?

Realize this everyone. These raptors CAN NOT SEE your wire roof. They look right through it. They have amazing eyesight, but it's like looking at a fence from 30 feet away with binoculars. It becomes invisible. Place something more substantial on the roof to make it more visible. This keeps the raptors from even trying to hit the roof. And in all morality, we are NOT in the business of hurting raptors. That said, free range birds are food for raptors.

PICT0245.JPG
PICT0246.JPG
PICT0248.JPG

2"x3" yard wire will keep them safe and let them get outside.

Attachments

• PICT0247.JPG
    PICT0247.JPG
    850.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PICT0245.JPG
    PICT0245.JPG
    956.5 KB · Views: 13
upload_2019-3-2_9-28-54.jpeg

A friend and I built this coop in Texas. As you can see it is on skids and movable, and certainly well ventilated. The floor is expanded metal, no need to sweep out the coop. Up here in the north, such a coop will need partial enclosure. It was a fun project. Hawk proof. Snakes sometimes get in to steal eggs. But that is fixable too.

This is beautiful, but you still have panels of invisible wire to a raptor. I realize we are in the business of chickens and the hawks are viewed as enemies, but they do not deserve to be injured.
I believe they can see it just fine. Sometimes they sit in the trees looking down at the chickens in the pen and don't even try for them. It is a thicker wire and more visible. After a while they give up and look elsewhere for a meal. My chickens deserve to live, too.

I happen to know first hand that this is how we trap raptors for falconry. We exploit this weakness. I am sorry to say that your observations and subsequent conclusions are not accurate.
View attachment 1688286 View attachment 1688287
Well, whatever. It keeps my chickens safe and that's my priority. The original question was how to protect a flock without locking them up 24/7 and this works.

Back
Top Bottom