How to Keep Hawks Away?

I live in an urban area, have had hens for over 5yrs, "free range" in my backyard and have a mated pair of hawks that nest every spring about 4 houses away! Last year the youngster tried to grab one of my girls, luckily he was in the learning stage and missed! We put up bird netting afterward; I have wire that keeps it up, above my head, goes from my house to the fence/wall on the other side...it hangs down on the sides about 4' or so. I have a baggie with rocks at all the corners to keep it hanging down, so it doesn't blow upward in winds.
But yes, a hawk can still go under it, but they haven't tried to. By accident, I have trapped several hummingbirds and a pair of sparrows, but I flipped up one side of the net and they flew out. My girls still travel out from under the netting (they visit the pool?!?!) and are taking chances, but this gives them/me some security, and it's worked for me for over a year now. I got the netting on Amazon, 24'x24', 2 pcs for less than $35 total.
Bird netting is much thinner than deer netting, but seems to be holding up well. Best investment I've made for predator protection to date. Good Luck!

full
Details on how you . did the top of that run. Is it conduit?

This is interesting. The roosters here will not take on a hawk unless it has landed on top of a hen. Unfortunately here, the main problem hawk is the Goshawk and just the impact of the strike is often enough to do irreparable damage to the hens internal organs.
I do lose roosters, but not because they've taken on the hawk, but because as you describe they are often the last to seek cover and they then become the hawks target.
I have a few theories as to why a rooster only attacks the hawk after it has struck a hen rather than put itself between the hen and the hawk.
We have red tail hawks here, and alot of them. They buzz by the flock many times a day. Maybe because it is a constant threat the roos are more aware. And one thing I noticed is normally there is always at least 2 roos with any group of hens and they take turns eating and watching. We also have a closed flock, so all have been hatched here and raised with a broody, maybe being exposed to hawk danger from the start has made them more savvy. And we do not keep any roosters that run with the hens for cover so we are selecting for this trait. That rooster in my pic is about 13 lbs, but he is not top, that would be Sherman a blue maran, then there are 2 wyandottes and 2 crosses. My Husband thinks we need 1 more, we will see :)

If you want to free arrange your birds accept the risk. Have a extra birds and accept a loss once in a while.

My birds free range all day every day and only are brought into the coop at night. They are so happy free ranging. Mine free range from a very young age so they're quite adept at sticking nearr fence lines and under trees. But I have lost at least one every year to predators. I accept that risk and take solice that they lived a happy good life.

If you want to free arrange your birds accept the risk. Have a extra birds and accept a loss once in a while.

My birds free range all day every day and only are brought into the coop at night. They are so happy free ranging. Mine free range from a very young age so they're quite adept at sticking nearr fence lines and under trees. But I have lost at least one every year to predators. I accept that risk and take solice that they lived a happy good life.
Hear Hear

Mine were "free ranged." An aerial predator got one, the other girls hid in the coop and 3 others hid and didn't show up until the next morning. We live on the Great Dismal Swamp treeline. We are subject to all predators. I love my hens. I give them nutritious feed and clean water every day. Why wouldn't I give them protection also? There seems to be a prevailing attitude that free ranging is the best for chickens. Well, as far as a cleaner coop and run goes, yes. I am willing to do the "housework" in order to make sure I don't provide a meal to a predator. I made a T-shirt that says "I don't free range my chickens and I am ok with that."

I made a T-shirt that says "I don't free range my chickens and I am ok with that."
:lol: Love it! Same here.

If a predator dies of small flying projectiles hitting it, is that not protecting you chickens too?
Depends on if you shoot(and hit) before any chickens are killed....
.... and not all folks can use a gun in lieu of location and/or resources and skills.

There are other ways to protect them than coop them up.
But secure confinement is the best way to lose none.

Back
Top Bottom