How to Keep Hawks Away?

We free range our flock of 60 hens during the day. We do lock them up during the night, but during the day it is the job of our 6 Roos to protect their ladies. Our Boys have a definite pecking order, but when a hawk flies over , they all call the alarm, the hens take cover and they stand out in the open crowing and flapping. Twice I have seen a hawk land on a hen in the open and then get attacked by my boys. It is a all out war on the hawk. Roosters are a very important part of a free range flock. I am not sure what I would do without them.

I had a rooster named Roscoe and 2 hens and I absolutely agree that roosters are awesome at looking after the ladies. While they would peck away he would have his eyes turned to the sky, looking for predators. Sadly, Roscoe gave his life to save the two girls. He was a beautiful Wyandotte with teal tail feathers. So a hawk killed him first since he was the Big Dude in the group and about a month later my other hen was killed by a hawk. I'm down to one Wyandotte hen named Millie. And, lol, I watch her like a hawk!

The only way to truly keep chickens safe from aerial attack is to keep them in a large covered run.
You can provide plantings and cover for them to run under but hawks are amazingly agile and maneuverable. I've read of hawks attacking chickens right under the nose of people out "keeping an eye" on their ranging chickens. Cover will certainly help but it will not prevent all hawk attacks.

This happened to me yesterday. I've got plastic 'owls' everywhere, so much tree coverage, 2 dogs and I had just gone inside. I heard the kill, it was over so quickly. I went outside but the dogs had already chased it away. It had literally taken the front half of a Hamburgh pullet in the brief moment before my dogs were there. It was only about 40 metres from the house, heavily treed with all sorts of established trees. All thick, varied heights. The remains were under a huge, draping tree between 2 sheds. It was awful. I was thinking of those kids shiny, spinning, sort of flower shaped things that spin when you blow on them. The cd/dvd idea sounds promising, too. I might make a string of them, like Christmas decorations! I had thought of tinsel, too........

This happened to me yesterday. I've got plastic 'owls' everywhere, so much tree coverage, 2 dogs and I had just gone inside. I heard the kill, it was over so quickly. I went outside but the dogs had already chased it away. It had literally taken the front half of a Hamburgh pullet in the brief moment before my dogs were there. It was only about 40 metres from the house, heavily treed with all sorts of established trees. All thick, varied heights. The remains were under a huge, draping tree between 2 sheds. It was awful. I was thinking of those kids shiny, spinning, sort of flower shaped things that spin when you blow on them. The cd/dvd idea sounds promising, too. I might make a string of them, like Christmas decorations! I had thought of tinsel, too........
I ran sisal twine crossing back and forth across an eighth of an acre and draped bird netting over parts of it. It's been month and they were taking a duckling every day when i decided to do it

Unfortunately, plastic owls do nothing to keep hawks away. If they are hungry and trying to feed their young, they will go after your chickens. That's nature. My last hen, Roxanne, (my avitar) lived for 7 years until she was killed by a hawk in an enclosure, which was actually a dog pen she had strayed into. So, as someone has already mentioned, the only way to keep them from being killed is by keeping them in a covered run. I'm down to one hen again, Millie, and so far she has lived 2 years. I hate to keep her cooped up. So I'm taking my chances. I feel if a hawk gets her, at least she's a really good life roaming around during the day.

Unfortunately, plastic owls do nothing to keep hawks away.
full

I had a hawk swoop down to get one of my chickens and its feathers swiped across my face! They are afraid of nothing. Fortunately, this particular hen was able to get away without injury. For me, I run colored twine (yellow surveyors plumb line) back and forth and have bird netting across it. I try to leave the netting loose enough that I can mow under it (my head touches it and keeps it out of the way.) My next thing is to attach cds to it for the movement/sparkle effect. And I have a 10X 12 piece of shade cloth to string up in another area. I have found that trees allow the chickens to hide under them and the hawk perches in the tree above and simply drops down on them. Bushes that are not strong enough for hawk to perch on are okay.

I had a hawk swoop down to get one of my chickens and its feathers swiped across my face! They are afraid of nothing. Fortunately, this particular hen was able to get away without injury. For me, I run colored twine (yellow surveyors plumb line) back and forth and have bird netting across it. I try to leave the netting loose enough that I can mow under it (my head touches it and keeps it out of the way.) My next thing is to attach cds to it for the movement/sparkle effect. And I have a 10X 12 piece of shade cloth to string up in another area. I have found that trees allow the chickens to hide under them and the hawk perches in the tree above and simply drops down on them. Bushes that are not strong enough for hawk to perch on are okay.

Sounds like a clever idea for a small area. I live on 30 acres and my hen roams on about 1/2 acre. So, that wouldn't work for my situation. That is amazing, though, about you feeling the hawks feathers on your face!! Unbelievable!!

Back
Top Bottom