How to keep hens from flying over a 7-ft fence?

Thanks for all the good advice! I posted some pictures in post #11 in this thread. Today I had time to watch Amelia's Houdini tricks. She flew up on top of the 4-ft high door of the run, which is open to give them access to their little yard. That got her half-way up! I posted a pic of her sitting on the door of the run. She is a barred rock. I put a sturdy white piece of plastic above that 4-ft door today so that she can't land on it anymore. I also installed about 3-4 feet high chicken wire above one part of the fence on the neighbor's side, and I had already put up the blue curtain last week. She also flies up into the avocado tree that is in their chicken yard, now that it lost most of its leaves. I will have to put a net over it, so she can't do that anymore...!

I will see if this does the trick. If not, I will clip one of her wings..!

I think she wants to fly out just to eat greenery. She knows how nice it is in the back yard, and their own little yard doesn't have a single green thing in it anymore, due to the drought and due to the fact that the chickens eat anything that starts to grow in there. I used to get large amounts of cafeteria leftovers for them at my previous job which I quit on Dec 18, and I think she is missing her salad bar leftovers!

Thanks again!

I had to get bird netting and lay it accross the top of my pin. I just added 4 new hens to the coupe and the barded rock and easter egger want to fly out all the time. I let them all roam free during the day but at night the would fly to the top of the coupe then to the top of the fence and up, out and over. Putting the bird net has eliminated this problem.

Mine like to land on the top rail, then hop on over. I took those green plastic poles for garden trellis (walmart, garden center) and attached them to the fence posts so they were about 2' higher and then strung kite string back and forth. Now they can't fly up and sit on the rail because the string throws them off and problem is solved.

I replaced the bright blue curtain with chicken wire, which looks much better. I also clipped one of Amelia's wings as well as one wing of my youngest pullets. Since then, no one has flown out.

Back
Top Bottom