1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep my chickens warm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 5littlehens, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 5littlehens

5littlehens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    California, USA
    Are my chickens safe in the winter cold or should I do something to keep them warmer?[​IMG]

2. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    [​IMG]

There are many threads on this subject on this site.

Folks in Alaska as well as way up into Canada do not heat their coops in winter.

Search around, there is a lot to be learned here. And not only on this subject.

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Block the wind and give them a dry place to sleep, they will take care of the rest.
    RobertH

PS.. what country/area are you in?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    They really don't need your help to stay warm.

5. 5littlehens

Jan 1, 2012
    California, USA
    Quote:California
    Usa

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A lot depends on where you live, but most people need a coop for locking them up at night to be safe from predators. You need a lot of ventilation overhead to reduce the humidity and frostbite threat, but they should be out of drafts or direct wind. Keep everthing dry with deep pine shavings for bedding and they should be fine without heat, as long as they are fully feathered (usually by 7-8 weeks of age.) Many folks on here in Canada, Alaska, and upper U.S. never heat their coops. Make sure they have a water source that won't freeze, such as a heated water bowl.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Provide a dry draft free yet well ventilated coop and lots of food and they will be fine. Feathers provide great insulation.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You don't need to keep them warm, really. Nature has already seen to it for several thousand years. Down coats and layered feathers.

We have -20F with regularity and -30F on occasion. Dry, sheltered, lots of straw, well-conditioned, well-fed and they're just fine and still lay well.

9. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    Much like any type of farm livestock (sheep, cattle, horses, etc.) as long as the chickens are sheltered, and have their food and water, they will be very happy. I had some chickens even rough it out last year outside of the coop, deciding to live in the lean-to area with the sheep...they were just fine (although the sheep were not fond of the chickens roosting on their backs at one point!) Luckily all of the chickens have decided that the coop is their best bet this year...

Good luck!

10. 5littlehens

Jan 1, 2012
    California, USA
    Thanks everyone. Great tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by