How to keep my eggs from freezing?

Quote:
It is a little temperature controlled switch that you plug stuff into that you want to only turn on when it gets below 40*. They are in the area of the hardware store where heat tape is. I think they are made by the same people.

It looks like a little orange box with make on one side and female on the other. When it turns on, there is a little indicator light that goes on. Pretty cool little contraption. You can run a power strip off of them if need be, as long as you do not exceed the voltage of the cube which I believe is 12 or 15 amps (which is a lot!!) but be sure to check the label for maximum voltage or you will burn it out and it will block any electgricity from running through it. They fail safe or open circuit, not closed.

Hi, Sorry, I haven't been on the computer. I'm between Roundup and Billings. Sure starting to get cold here.

Quote:
It is a little temperature controlled switch that you plug stuff into that you want to only turn on when it gets below 40*. They are in the area of the hardware store where heat tape is. I think they are made by the same people.

It looks like a little orange box with make on one side and female on the other. When it turns on, there is a little indicator light that goes on. Pretty cool little contraption. You can run a power strip off of them if need be, as long as you do not exceed the voltage of the cube which I believe is 12 or 15 amps (which is a lot!!) but be sure to check the label for maximum voltage or you will burn it out and it will block any electgricity from running through it. They fail safe or open circuit, not closed.

Thanks, I had never heard of this, I need to check it out, maybe I can keep my eggs from freezing this year.

Quote:

Thanks, I had never heard of this, I need to check it out, maybe I can keep my eggs from freezing this year.

They may also be near the tank heaters at BigR. Doesn't matter if you ask them for a temperature controlled plug they will know what you are talking about.

You are required to report back on your success or failure you know... If we have to go anywhere we will be in the exact same boat, or iceberg so to speak...

You should post up some pics of your nest boxes. I have some ides but if they are stacked or single layer (no pun intended) it will make a difference.

One thing for absolute certain, you are going to put your heater on a timer. Very few are made to run continuously, so you are going to want to make them cycle on and off throughout the day.

I have plans for a solar warm air box that would be very easy to make small scale and run warm air though them (they work at -30 with very little sun), but it would be kind of involved to get the air there unless your nest boxes are out side. If your nest boxes are stacked like mine you may be able to cut holes in the top floor (ceiling of bottom layer), cover them with hardware fabric, and heat only the bottom and let the heat rise up.

Just thinkin out loud, we really need some pictures to get it all figured out. someone will have an idea.

Last edited:
My nests are stacked, 6 boxes, 3in a row 2 high. I'll see if I can get some photos, my camera isn't working right now. I do have some of the older heating pads that don't shut off that I used to use for whelping puppys, and if I can plug a power strip into the thermo cube, my idea just might work. What I'm now thinking, is attach the heating pads to a sheet of light weight styro insulation, put that over the egg holding area so that the heating pad is over the eggs but not touching them, and then hang a blanket over the entire area. I think I could get by with 2 heating pads on each level. If I can put the thermo cube in the egg holding area, then the heat would ony come on as needed to keep the eggs from freezing.

Quote:
Ohhh crap I just realized you have a roll out. Way easy!!! Even if the heating pad touches them it wont hurt. If it is on low you are only talking about heating a 30 cubic foot area at most. you can get rigid foam insulation panels (2"x4'x8') from the lumber yard that are damaged for around 5 bucks. They screw together with drywall screws really easy. Build a little box that covers the tray top, bottom, and both sides and you will have a little egg oven. It will probably weigh less than the heating pads.

If it is possible and you can build a little three sided shell with a roof that sits on the floor and slides over both the trays, you could put a light bulb inside a cinder block on the floor inside the shell and heat the thing to 80* when it is -30 outside. If you could bungie it to the wall to keep it from moving you would be all set. Inside a single cinder block, there would be no chance of the light bulb catching anything on fire, or even being knocked over by the inevitable parties that are going on while you are away.

Quote:
Ohhh crap I just realized you have a roll out. Way easy!!! Even if the heating pad touches them it wont hurt. If it is on low you are only talking about heating a 30 cubic foot area at most. you can get rigid foam insulation panels (2"x4'x8') from the lumber yard that are damaged for around 5 bucks. They screw together with drywall screws really easy. Build a little box that covers the tray top, bottom, and both sides and you will have a little egg oven. It will probably weigh less than the heating pads.

If it is possible and you can build a little three sided shell with a roof that sits on the floor and slides over both the trays, you could put a light bulb inside a cinder block on the floor inside the shell and heat the thing to 80* when it is -30 outside. If you could bungie it to the wall to keep it from moving you would be all set. Inside a single cinder block, there would be no chance of the light bulb catching anything on fire, or even being knocked over by the inevitable parties that are going on while you are away.

Now thats a great idea, I think even I could put that together in an afternoon. I think one of the little 7watt bulbs would be enough to heat that small of a space, and if not a 40 watt should be more than enough.
And the heat that escapes into the nests will give the girls a little minni spa to lay their eggs in.
lol.png

Quote:
When you are a multi gazzilionare from your invention, you owe me a... Hmmm lets see... ok ok, you have to make and ship one for me for free (and no shipping charges either!!!)

You have to post pics though... And yes you can build it, that foam sticks together really well with spray foam insulation, just a dab will do ya, the screws will hold it together till it dries.

I think a 40 watt will be plenty, you don't want it to heat up and cycle on and off all the time, You may even try spacing it off the floor a bit to increase air circulation so the air moves. I'm thinking it would help reduce cold spots, but may just run all the heat out of it.

To cut that 2" stuff, use a razor knife to score it, and it snaps clean. Any gaps will be filled by the spray foam. Uneven surfaces will create a better glue joint in that application.

Quote:
That is a pretty cool idea! The example is a bit of an eye sore but I like the concept, can always try to make it more visually appealing. We actually use solar panels(somewhat similar concept but a pump is required) to heat our pool, saving hundreds of dollars each swim season by not using propane.

Back
Top Bottom