How to keep poo out of feet feathers?

sixlittlechicks09

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Wyalusing
Hey everyone!! I've got a few week old baby cochin frizzle, Ella, and I absolutely ADORE her. However, she and her two broodermates (orpingtons) poo alot. Not a big deal, but her little feet feathers are GROSS and covered in the stinking stuff. I've trimmed them way down, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on keeping them clean? And if anyone has anyy chickens with feathered feet, how do they stay clean?

keep them out of wet conditions; mud, wet poo, etc. As long as it's dry, they'll be fine
smile.png

eta: If you're serious about the feet feathering, some folks use white sand in the runs

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmm interesting... The run is pretty dry, but it's going to be a few more weeks before they're out there. I'll have to talk to the padre about white sand
lol.png
I'm sure he'll be thrilled!

Yeah, sand! I have a whole fleet of feathered feet (Cochins and Brahmas,) and I have construction sand in the pen over dry clay. If it weren't for the four to six inches of sand, any rain could turn the clay into hopeless, sticky mud. (But the pen is roofed over, so rain splash around the edges is all it gets.)

The sand also permits any runny poop to be absorbed, leaving just a crust lying on the surface. The fleet of feathered feet almost never have poop problems. Sometimes, if I notice someone has fouled their feet, they get a fast foot wash in a bowl of warm water, then back to the sandy pen to dry. (Unless it's winter and freezing)

Back
Top Bottom