1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to keep the chicks out of the garden?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenLove123, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I have three chickens, but will be adding another three this spring. Right now on occasion I let my chicks out of their run and they explore the yard and scratch in the garden, which is fine since it's winter and I just have the leftover kale and chard in there and the chickens aren't hurting anything.

I have a small back yard and a small garden (the garden is 16x8 feet). Soon I'll be planting seeds and plants in the garden and I will not want my chickens having a hay-day in there anymore. I am thinking I'll need a temporary fence that I could install right before I let them out for their occasional jaunt in the yard, but I am flummoxed about how exactly to do a temporary fence. Keeping a fence up all the time would mean extra hassle for me when I want to get to the lettuce and tomatoes... Plus it would take up some valuable space...

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Check out the pens. I am not selling you but only showing you the "V" design in these pens might be a solution to a holding area that can be moved around. If your handy you may possibly be able to build it or have it built but I love the yard pen.

http://www.greenchickencoop.com/Coop_Options.html

The last unit at the bottom of the page. Just a little "A" frame with perches inside. Best of luck

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    You could keep them in their run until the garden is established. Also premier1 sells temporary poultry netting, it may even give you an idea on how to make something.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 5 gardens. You'll need a fence to keep them out. I have a wire gate to get in & out of my gardens.[​IMG]

5. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    they willeatanythignyou have on show any plantsflowers....

i have the same problem i got mybirds in june last year they get letout of there run on weekends and afternoons when someone finishedwork,

there is no garden any more ,before they came the garden wasnice with grass, flowers, anda foundain with statues and lights everywhere

now its a muddy mess with broken statues and the lights are under mud as they love to find them and hide them inthe dirt !

i am thinking of a fence my self in an area somewhere so i can at least havesomethingas i came torealise they love tomoatoe plants and lettuce very quickly i left them to make a cup of tea when i first got them , when i wentback they had ate everythign and i only had 2 at the time !!!!

if you do come up with a good idea im very interested to know !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by