How to keep the flock cool?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by smw18, Mar 3, 2012.

1. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Well, I live in florida, a bipolar state. I can feel its going to be one hot summer, seeing as its already touched 80's a few times. So I was wondering of anyone had some tips on how to cool a flock down. I freeze icecubes or rags soaked in chicken broth frozen for the dogs, and freeze apples, carrots, and peppermint in water for horses.
    Any ideas for chicken, guineas, and geese?

2. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Sun Glasses and Leather Coats.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We had record heat weeks on end last summer. Fresh cool water changed out every other day (I have three- 3 gallon waters in my main pen,) Box fans for each pen (2 for my main pen, and it's 90% covered.) A fan in the main coop on medium blowing OUT the rear vent. Fresh air is sucked in through the side vents, including at night. You dont want fans blowing air directly on your chickens. Here's a pic, note the fan in the rear of the coop, works great with no losses.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Frozen treats are always a good thing. I make block ice to put in their waterer better than cubes because they just don't last.. Lots of shade,my coop is raised on a tree filled lot so lots of shade here. Even mist the dirt where they dust bath and mist them down although not their favorite thing.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  5. rustyhowe

rustyhowe New Egg

Nov 30, 2009
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    We live in central Texas and we had over 90 100degree days last summer, mine were fine they found a cool place to hang out in the bam boo that lines the back of our Property. Just keep their waters full and give them a shady place with something like shavings so that they can burrow down in or if they are free range they will find a cool spot. Most important is Always water. They are pretty tough creatures and will adapt.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Ice water & frozen watermelon, cantaloupe & cucumbers.

7. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I live in Western Washington and I have about 50+ trees for canopy cover. I dream of warm days and by that I mean anything over 65 degrees F! Keeping my girls cool is not hard here, but every once in a great while the temp may rise to 80! This is good information to know. I have a solar fan that pulls air from inside, so rather than blow on the girls fresh air from the opposite side of the coop can be pulled in. Good tips to remember! Thank you!

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Mine like to wade in water when it's hot. I am thinking of getting one of those large under the bed storage boxes for them this year.

9. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I think all of the suggestions given are great. However, in addition to all of them, I have set up a series of misters that spray a portion of the run during exceptionally hot days and I have found that the chickens seek out that portion and it has been very helpful.

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Provide as much square footage of shade as possible, and even layers of shade using tarps and shade cloths, e.g., to create shade over a coop if you don't have trees. If you don't have misters, you can also just soak the ground with water and the evaporation will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by