How to Keep them Off the Deck

Quote:
That's what we've been doing. But they wait until I'm in the house or not home, and then have a party on the deck!

Not only do I have chickens visiting the back porch, I have two ducks. Duck poo is worse than chicken poo.

All the little feathered piggies know the Door Through Which The Treat Lady Comes is the one opening onto the back porch. If they're not on the back porch waiting for me, the moment I open the back/kitchen door, they come swarming from every corner of the yard to greet me.

I do NOT feed them or give them treats any place but in the run. They may be free ranging, but they have to come back into the run if they want the goodies - especially if they want to eat from my hands. (That's always the BEST treat: shredded mozzarella cheese.)

So I have most of the flock milling about my feet ON the back porch, down the step into the yard, across a 10 foot span into the run, and finally in the middle of the run. With a few late-comers flapping and running their way in from the hinterland.

I guess I'm not that fastidious. I have one of those "outside," all polyester area rugs on the back porch. Hoses off really easily and poultry poo does not damage it. Plus, they're reversible. I bought 'em on QVC long before I got chickens, and I'm glad I bought 'em! 12x9 ft area rugs.

Quote:
LOVE THE IMAGE!

Well, yes, I could do some simple fencing myself. Our backyard is kinda pretty though, with lots of perrenials. So the fencing would kind of ruin the look. So I have to decide if I want to clean poo every day off the deck, or wreck the view.
hmm.png

I know right?
lol.png

I never wanted fencing either. I put it up anyways and the vegi garden part looks fairly decent. I will do something more permanent like a pergola wall with a bench next year because the fencing completes the porch. The only other fencing I have is more trellis around my water gardens/sun perennial garden. It's hideous, but it keeps the duck from pooping up the water and ripping out my Water Lilly. I might go for bird netting next year since it's almost invisible. Maybe that would work for you too.

I have a walk out basement and when I go out to the coop I use that door so I can leave my shoes with chicken poop in the basement. Well sometimes my chickens will wait for me there. So I had to put some old chairs there so they can Perch.(I took out the seat) The poop is mostly under the chairs so clean up is easy. Other time they like to go on my front porch and tap on the windows. Its concrete so it just hoses off. What ya gonna do?
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
That's what we've been doing. But they wait until I'm in the house or not home, and then have a party on the deck!

Sorry did not follow up. I dont free range unless someone is home because of preditors in the area.

MIne love the deck too! Once they discovered that the cat food is up there it was a lost cause. There is a pair that will bolt out of the coop each AM when I come open it up - often times, they are already up on the deck before I get back up there myself
barnie.gif

I've been trying something new. I'm keeping the hose on with a sprayer nozle and keeping it handy near the back door. If I catch them on the deck, I run out like a crazy lady spraying the hose in their general direction, (but not directly hitting them) They are all afraid of the hose and sprinklers.

They are starting to run now when they see me coming out the back door.

I just hope they still like me after this.
hmm.png
I think when I'm the treat lady visiting the coop, they will forget all about the crazy hose lady!
lol.png

Mine come onto the patio all the time. I keep a long yucca stick just outside the door and I run at them, waving it in the air and yell like a pirate, "Off the porrrrch!" They run away like I was a monster. It really doesn't help keep them off the porch, but it makes me laugh every time and that makes me feel better.

Back
Top Bottom