How to keep this monsterous creature away?!?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
My poor little silkie lost many of his crest feathers and his right muff. Melvin had blood on the back of his head and on his comb. A pullet is missing alot of feathers on her crop area and the whole flock is freaking when Bruno (friendly and faithful chicken dog) walks into the coop. By the last sentence you would think 'oh it must be a dog'... NOPE.
Around 6:30 pm my mom went outside to close the chicken coop up and to check for the beast. She saw it! What is it you wonder.. A large longhaired calico colored cat! My mom grabbed for it but it jumped out of the little chickens' sleeping coop and hopped up on the roof of the coop and ran off. My mom had a few scratches and cat hair on her.
This monster almost gave my mom a heart attack! I would flipped out and grabbed a stick and go crazy.. Good thing I was on the computer. My mom is going to buy locks asap and I'm going to find where I can buy cage traps.
My dad says 'if i see that darn cat im going to shoot it with my pellet gun or slingshot', slingshot with metal balls O-O
My mom argued with him a bit and I figured I could come onto this forum and ask some questions. We live in the desert so no, there is no raccoon or whatever out here.
Is there something I can spray around the area, like something the cat will not like at all and keep away from our yard?
I don't want anything killing my chickens! Especially Skippy, he's my only silkie. And he looks horrible because his muff is missing and his crest is all chewed up. Please please please help.

Quote:
x2

Calico Cats are the "best mousers"....best hunters of domestic cats, per my vet for *my* Calico cat.

Now it knows where there is food, it will be back and eventually it will be successful. So SSS.

Quote:
It's not like normal coops. It's actually a side section of our front yard. It connects the front to the back. We never use the back because of our dachshunds, so the door there is barricaded off. The door to the front is closable, but the lach the handy-dudes put broke, so we keep this heavy thing to keep it closed. As for the sleeping area, there are two parts. Actually three. One corner has three nest boxes, to the left of that is a coop we made for the "5" to sleep in (including their rooster) and across from them is where most of our later chickens sleep. Where the pullets and cockerels are, it was made from a huge green cage, we used that to make the walls. I made bricks for stairs so they can easily get in and out. The only exposed parts is that there is no roof (except where the younger chickens are, its a rain-protection roof) and theres a small space with the door. I've tried everything to keep that door all the way shut, but I'm guessing its something with the hinges.
What's SSS ?

Quote:
x2

Calico Cats are the "best mousers"....best hunters of domestic cats, per my vet for *my* Calico cat.

Now it knows where there is food, it will be back and eventually it will be successful. So SSS.

SSS ? I'm not sure if it's 100% calico. It's a pretty big cat to what my mom described. She said it was orange, brown, white, grey, and black. It will not be successful! I'll try to check around with people in my area if they're familiar with the cat, and if I find the owner I will ask them to keep it indoors.

Back
Top Bottom