How to Keep Water from Freezing with No Electric

Mr Kingsbury

Chirping
Sep 23, 2019
I did search, but can find nothing that matches our situation.

We have two free range chickens that moved in a few winters back (maybe longer; I'm old and time plays tricks with me). They were left behind by folks that were unable to catch them before said folks moved out of the hollow where we live.

As well as I can recollect, the first couple winters since then were mild. But this year my concern is them waking in the morn and having frozen water, before we can get out to them. And the gettin' can be difficult as we are both old and disabled.

We have no electric service here, and cannot afford to have the genny running all night just to keep a bowl of water defrosted.

How did folks solve this in the days before?

Welcome to BYC?

Where, in general, are you located?

What temperatures are you looking at day and night?

I live in a mild climate with few freezing days so I usually just bring the water in at night and when needed -- rarely -- change the water a couple times during the day if it threatens to freeze.

Thank you for the welcome... back. I have posted previously about our adventures with our chickens, but tried to give this post an abbreviated tone.

We live near Covington, VA. The highlands of western Virginia. Tonight it's bitter cold; suppose to get down to the low 20's. During the day, so far, we have melt.

We give them water throughout the day as needed, but with our health, getting up at first light can be difficult.

Thank you for the welcome... back. I have posted previously about our adventures with our chickens, but tried to give this post an abbreviated tone.

We live near Covington, VA. The highlands of western Virginia. Tonight it's bitter cold; suppose to get down to the low 20's. During the day, so far, we have melt.

We give them water throughout the day as needed, but with our health, getting up at first light can be difficult.

They can eat snow so it should be OK to bring the water in and then put it out when you get up. :)

They don't spend too much of the morning in their coop, so during the day we're good. But during the night and very early hours is my concern right now. I was under the impression that once they roost, they stay up. Am I incorrect? And if I can't get to them until later in the morning?

Is there a way to keep water from freezing without electric, though?
Not really.
When I had a bird isolated away from heated waterer in winter, I put a bowl of snow in her enclosure. She clearly consumed it.
When we have snow on the ground the waterer stays fuller longer,
they clearly like to eat snow.

I think overnight they shouldn't need too much, if any at all.

Do you close them up at night? So they have food and water in their coop? Mine do not and are fine waiting for water/food until I let them out in the morning. Sometimes it is right when the sky is turning pink and sometimes the sun is all the way up. They seem to be fine. During the day, I have one heated dog bowl and one "normal" plastic waterer. The plastic one I do have to chip or pour warm water on a couple times a day.

Back
Top Bottom