How to keep wild birds from eating all my chickens' food?

I can empathize...my duck yard is too big to net over and for the past three years over the summer months I have had a tribe of invasive, thieving Black Bellied Whistling Tree ducks raid the feeders every morning and evening when they know I have filled said feeders...they are pretty and can fly like a rocket, but geez...I counted 36 of them one evening and my birds were all huddled up in a corner watching the robbery take place...they are terrified of these flying bandits...it was cute when it was one or two, but then they started bringing friends and relatives to the free food...I have been chasing them away but they are brazen little suckers...they are gone for the year now but it was a constant struggle over the summer to keep my own birds fed...that feed ain't cheap and I just can not afford to feed large groups of birds I don't own or want...

Quote:
I also had a terrible problem with wild birds eating the chicken feed and I made a treadle feeder as you describe. Wild birds no longer eat my chicken feed. You really don't have to worry about injuries to the chickens. Despite opening and closing their treadle feeders tens of thousands of times over the last year or so, no chicken was ever hit by a closing lid. You can see plans on how to make one in my sig. line and there are others available online. There is also another cheaper and easier auto-feeder that would work to keep wild birds out of the food described in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=485925 Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

I've seen hotels string strong fishing line criss-cross way over top of courtyard fountains that had the duck problem. Was out of people's line of sight. Don't know how effective it was - sure didn't stop little birds.

I keep the food in the chicken shed.I have a repeating house sparrow trap and a squirrel trap to get those who try to steal the food. If I throw food outside it is just enough for the chickens to eat up while I am standing with them.

I'll have to train my chickens one day to look at wild birds as a food source!
lol.png

Wait a minute! How do I keep my chickens from eating my wild bird seed?!!*%
I am paying $32 for sunflower seed and the wild bird seed is $18.99 for 50# bags! The chickens go out every day to chow down & I cant keep up.
Guess I am just kinda backwards....
roll.png

Have y'all tried going to your local feed store and ask for a horned owl statue or even walmart seen some for $12-$16 natural predator and u can put them on the house or on top of your coop works great

Have y'all tried going to your local feed store and ask for a horned owl statue or even walmart seen some for $12-$16 natural predator and u can put them on the house or on top of your coop works great

I second that. I have a great horned owl statue in my coop and I haven't had a problem with any pest stealing food, you do have to move it every once in a while, but it has definitely worked for me.

Do you think a heavy duty cardboard treadle feeder would work for a short time frame? wanna test it out before i commit to making a you-beaut wooden one. (my girls are beautiful but theyre dumb as dirt)

Back
Top Bottom