how to know if you have a hen or a roo

SomeHotChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I am getting my chick May 17 and May 24that my local grange and there is 90% I'm going to get hens but I wanted to know how do you know if a chick and older is a roo or a hen?

Are they all going to be the same breed? Cockerels get their combs and wattles earlier than the pullets. By 4-6 weeks you should have a better idea. If they are different breeds, they will probably develop at different rates. There are other differences too. Check out forums under the heading "What breed or gender is this" and you can see hundreds of examples, with all kinds of pics to compare yours to. And you can post pics yourself.
Over the past 2 years, I bought 10 chicks that all were accurately sexed as pullets. I bought 2 straight runs that also ended up pullets.
Good luck with yours!

I getting 5 different breed 2 of each thank you so much for all you help

getting on the 17th
Australorp
Ripley and Hen-Solo

Buff Orpington
Goldilock and Amelia Egghart

Ameraucana
Booker R. ( off Garfield and friends) and Lady Egsalot

golden sex link
Chic 'N' Patty and Mary Pooins

and what we are getting on may 22
Leghorn
Foghorn Leghorn and Bok Bok Choy

Light Brahma
Miss.Cora Ann

Oh what a nice combination! And you've already named them! They will be some lucky chicks. Well with 2 of each, you can compare the pairs. I know the leghorns will get bigger combs earlier than any of the others, so don't be alarmed.
You'll have to share pics when they arrive.

Ok thank you so much!! I plan on trying to take a lot of pics! I have some cupcake liner I am going to try to use has skirts.yep it happened I turned into crazy chicken lady!

Just know that sometimes when people sex them they can sex them wrong, so there's always this risk of getting a roo. It's always good to have at least one roo though because they warn the hens when there is danger near by.

thank you ILuvMyFlock.
I didn't know roo warn them then danger is near by. I wanted a roo but the granges here last order is May24 and they have no more available. I order mine like 2 mouth ago and 2 of my breeds were moved a week out. So if I don't get a roo idk where to buy just one. Everywhere I look online wants 8 or more.

thank you ILuvMyFlock.
I didn't know roo warn them then danger is near by. I wanted a roo but the granges here last order is May24 and they have no more available. I order mine like 2 mouth ago and 2 of my breeds were moved a week out. So if I don't get a roo idk where to buy just one. Everywhere I look online wants 8 or more.

You can always find chicks on Craigslist.

thank you ILuvMyFlock.

Yes they absolutely do warn the flock of danger, it's a distinct call that's made when they see a predator. You could try Craigslist, that's where I get some of my roosters. I always recommend at least having one rooster, I have a yard full of at least 20 or more Roos. You can always separate the roo from the hens, they're good for patrolling, as soon as they make the call a predator is near others typically look to where the roo is looking at and most will try to find cover.

I getting 5 different breed 2 of each thank you so much for all you help

getting on the 17th
Australorp
Ripley and Hen-Solo

Buff Orpington
Goldilock and Amelia Egghart

Ameraucana
Booker R. ( off Garfield and friends) and Lady Egsalot

golden sex link
Chic 'N' Patty and Mary Pooins

and what we are getting on may 22
Leghorn
Foghorn Leghorn and Bok Bok Choy

Light Brahma
Miss.Cora Ann
The sex links will definitely be female. Are you getting white or brown Leghorns? If you are getting brown then males and females feather in differently. Males will have a black breast and females will have salmon. The Ameraucanas will actually be Easter Eggers. Those are the ones the hatcheries seem to have a higher percentage of mis-sexed chicks. I got 6 a while back, 2 were male. Brahmas are slower to develop than most breeds.

Back
Top Bottom