How to know what color egg a chicken will lay

Michael8427

Chirping
Feb 28, 2021
This may be a dumb question but say you bread an Amerucana with another kind of chicken that lays brown or white eggs , will the chick then lay blue eggs or no, (this is just hypothetical) I’m not doing it now but I am beginning to get into breeding and was wondering how all that worked

In theory it can, but you won't know what color the eggs are going to be until they start laying. People breed just like you stated, hoping for this or that color but since we can't pick which exact gene gets passed to the kids, we don't know until they start producing if we got lucky or not on egg color.
Good luck when you do start!

Aaron

In theory it can, but you won't know what color the eggs are going to be until they start laying. People breed just like you stated, hoping for this or that color but since we can't pick which exact gene gets passed to the kids, we don't know until they start producing if we got lucky or not on egg color.
Good luck when you do start!

Aaron
Oh okay, thank you so much !

I don’t know anything about breeding but I came across this chart

Attachments

• 07F89C65-C978-483A-8706-E6E94C3D3474.jpeg
    07F89C65-C978-483A-8706-E6E94C3D3474.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 12
I guess the best way to sum it up is, charts like that show what's possible, not what's guaranteed.
Where does the sex fit in at? ie does it matter which one is the blue egger /brown egger etc? Ive heard people say several different things, wondering which is correct?

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom