How to Launder Filthy Towels

RogerChicken

Songster
Jul 10, 2021
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Y'all are some smart people, so I'll ask you:

I've got a load of old, old towels that I used extensively in my brooder for about a month, and, as one might imagine, they have become truly befouled.

Are they beyond redemption, or is there any chance they might be able to be cleaned up? If so, how? A big tub and a stick?

Currently they're too gross for me to be happy with sticking them in the washing machine.

Can’t guarantee no stains, but you should be able to get them clean enough to use them for chicks again!

If there is actually caked poop on these towels, I would first shake them outside (hold your breath!), then drape them over something and hose them off using some sort of jet nozzle. If your humidity is such that they will stay damp for a while (rainy weather is perfect), leave them there, then hose again. Otherwise put in a bucket or tub of water to soak for a while (like until the next day), then pull out and hose again. I can usually get things clean enough this way that I am willing to throw them in the washing machine.

Good suggestions above. You can also use Pine Sol in the washer with those towels. (antibacterial). It was a tip given to help get the smell out of the dog towels. LOL

Back
Top Bottom