How to level out and select landscaping?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I am choosing a location for my chicken coop. Both are the same size chainlink kennel.

Section A- Thick grass is already there. It's mostly level. No electric outlet, no water spiget

Section B- Very little grass, also some tall weeds growing that would have to be rooted out. There is a crabapple tree in the corner that could provide shade. There is a water spiget and electric outlets. We planned to run electric (someone who knows how would do it) but outside outlets would be nice too, for weedeating, and most importantly CHRISTMAS and PARTY LIGHTS.

So what do you guys think. I am leaning toward B, but it will require a LOT of work. There is already fence bent over in an apron in both and both require some weeding.

Either way they both need yummy landscaping. I was going to have deer netting for the top and chicken wire aroudn the bottom 3 feet.

ANY suggestions.

I have to level it out. It's not even level enough to dream of putting a coop on. There is a small section in a corner, but that is where run is going. It will take work, but will be worth it.

section B. the option of shade, close to water supply, sloped for drainage. it's alot easier to level a structure to fit the landscape than it is to level the landscape.

Which one would get the morning sun? I find in the winter this is very important too. Which would get the most wind , a no no if possible. Other than that i would say B. Electricity is really important. The chickens will under growth your run rather rapidly. As long as the plants are not poison. Grass will disappear rapidly. If hilly, make sure the coop is up hill of the run. It will keep things from working their way into the coop.Jean

I don't know what kind of 'yummy landscaping' you are thinking of, but anything the chickens can reach they will destroy utterly, honest
wink.png

Site B sounds better to me, as having utilities available.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I'm not sure you're grasping the time scale involved here
tongue.png
Fun for a day, dirt forever after.

Yummy fun for chickens can easily be had by tossing (nonpoisonous) garden weedings and veg garden trimmings/surplus into the run... and you can do that day after day forever
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If you just have 4-6 chicks I would use the grass area if the pen will be large enough. A grass ground cover is priceless. I have 2 peacocks in a 24 x 40 pen and has been grass for 6 yrs. Grass is great if the pen is large enough

Back
Top Bottom