How to live their best lives?

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
Hi All -

I am an over the top animal lover! Yesterday I got our first batch of chicks (4 from tractor supply). We have them in a large galvanized tub with their heat lamp, water, and food. Their bedding is large pine shavings. I took a small amazon box from some past random delivery and put some sticks through it to make little perches for them. They seem to be happy so far, from my incredibly limited experience. They like to dig through the shavings to find their food at times, and others eat directly from the feeder. I have read so much and my head is spinning with what is actually best to do with chicks this young - my assumption is that they're 1 week old.

1) I read that putting a small amount of apple cider vinegar in their water can be beneficial at this point to help support their immune systems.
2) I've read that fresh culinary herbs (I have dill, oregano, parsley, and sage in abundance in my garden at the moment) can be something fun for them to dig for in the pine shavings while also being good for their immune system. Similarly, fresh garlic? However, if I do this it's good to go ahead and put some dirt from the outside with some grass clippings or weeds to introduce them to the outside environment and get some grit in for the addition to their diet.
3) Can I take them outside to explore for 10-15 minutes, if they're supervised (the high today is 86)?
4) What other things can I add to their brooder to maximize their mental stimulation and happiness?

Thank you for all of your help. I want my ladies to live their best lives! I know how to spoil my over the top dogs, but want to do the same for these fluffy ladies!

I would just stick to their starter feed and fresh, clean water for now. There is plenty of time to introduce them to new things in the future.

You can take them outside for short periods of time if you wish, but make sure they keep dry and don't catch a chill. If they start to look uncomfortable and start peeping, bring them back to their heat lamp.

Also watch for predators-- a cat can snatch away a baby chick in a flash.

I'd wait until they are older to introduce new & fun things. Stick with chick crumbles and clean water for now. Holding them for a few minutes everyday (until they've had enough, they'll let you know!) is good so they bond with you.

May I suggest giving them a non-breakable mirror to hang in their coop? Mine love theirs and they enjoy playing with the attached kids colorful plastic rings. The heart shaped mirror came from Amazon.com and was less than $10! I waited until they were two & a half weeks to introduce it. I also gave them some roosting bars when they were three weeks old, mounted just above the bedding. Once mine started the "dust-bathing" behavior, I gave them playground sand to enjoy. Now that they are five weeks old and nearly feathered out, I need to start construction on the new run & coop outside over the holiday weekend. They've outgrown the family room 2ft x 4ft run!

Have fun! :jumpy :wee

at 2 weeks or so I like to give them a lump of soil from the garden. it gives them their first grit and exposure to microbes in the soil. they love pecking and digging through it and usually trying to dust bathe in it afterwards. do this just before you are due to clean the brooder, though!
Great idea! I'll do that for mine while I'm building their new coop & run. Gives them something MORE to do. They've only had playground sand and hemp bedding thus far. :) They do enjoy dust bathing in the sand.

at 2 weeks or so I like to give them a lump of soil from the garden. it gives them their first grit and exposure to microbes in the soil. they love pecking and digging through it and usually trying to dust bathe in it afterwards. do this just before you are due to clean the brooder, though!
This is ok even if the soil has vegetable fertilizer in it? I think they actually may be older than a week because some of their wings have feathers and they have the little ridges at the top of their beak.

I have one that likes to chirp loudly and then gets quiet and goes to sleep when I pick her up and settle her down, especially if I cover her with a robe. I don't think they're hot because they aren't hanging down at the end with the heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom