How To Lower Humidity

Sunnyducks

Chirping
May 1, 2016
Hi, I've just had a disastrous hatch (2 hatched from 12), and the temperature may have been to blame. The lady I got them from feels really bad so is giving me another dozen tonight. I've had the incubator running, temperature is fine on all three thermometers but the humidity outside is apparently around 70% with a rainy week ahead so it's not likely to improve. The incubator humidity is reading around 80% at the moment. Does this spell doom for my new batch of eggs? Is there anything at all I can do to reduce the humidity in the incubator? I saw someone mention using dry rice - would that work? And do the de-humidifying beads you can by to use in containers on the window sill to reduce mould, containing toxic ingredients? Thank you in advance.

Hello
frow.gif

To reduce the RH in your bator, put a dish of dry rice in there to safely absorb the excess moisture. Yes, the beads you mention will also work...at day 18 you want to increase your RH to 65-70%, so you might start by removing the dish late on day 17 (give RH time to adjust upward). I don't think the beads would be toxic if they're not ingested - no release of toxic gases...

That might help increase your hatch rate

Happy Hatching
big_smile.png

@n8ivetxn Thank you so much for the advice. I've done as you suggest with the rice, as I had some on hand. The humudity has dropped to the mid 40s now, but at least I know how to help it. Thank you!

There is also a product that our dollar store sells, it's a charcoal mix to lower the humidity in the house that hatcher @RubyNala97 used at one point to lower the humidity in the bator during a "wet" period. I believe she put in a half cup or so and then and changed it out every couple days. Rice, I think will need to be changed out more often. It works for some and not for others so it's really a trial and error thing. Silica packets are also a recommendation by some.

Have you checked the hygrometer for accuracy to make sure it's not way off? And I highly recommend if you don't already to keep an eye on the air cells and monitor them for growth at least days 7/14/18 to make sure they are growing right and the humidity levels are doing their job.

You're very welcome, glad I could help in a pinch - but AmyLynn is the real expert here, LOL
wink.png

AmyLynn, I didn't even think of charcoal, but that's a great idea.... and it's non-toxic too.... you might find it in aquarium centers, maybe home depot, and health food stores might have it in capsule form... "silica packet" was the term I was trying to think of last night, but I had a banging migraine yesterday and my 2 brain cells just weren't clicking!
roll.png
I'm not sure where to find those, other than inside a box of new shoes!
lol.png

You're very welcome, glad I could help in a pinch - but AmyLynn is the real expert here, LOL
wink.png

AmyLynn, I didn't even think of charcoal, but that's a great idea.... and it's non-toxic too.... you might find it in aquarium centers, maybe home depot, and health food stores might have it in capsule form... "silica packet" was the term I was trying to think of last night, but I had a banging migraine yesterday and my 2 brain cells just weren't clicking!
roll.png
I'm not sure where to find those, other than inside a box of new shoes!
lol.png
You can actually order the silica packets on line. I think you can get them off ebay, but I would try the charcoal/carbon stuff they have in most dollar stores I think, if you needed more than the rice. Some people have had succcess with unpopped popcorn as well. I've never had a problem with having to lower my humidity with no water in teh bator.

The Dollar Store.... I think you can find everything needed to build a bator in that store!
Pretty close...lol My son wants to be Mega Man for Halloween. Just about everything I used for the mega blaster and boot shields, I got from there....lol I just have the helmet to finish up and I need to dye the body suit.

Hi, I've just had a disastrous hatch (2 hatched from 12), and the temperature may have been to blame. The lady I got them from feels really bad so is giving me another dozen tonight. I've had the incubator running, temperature is fine on all three thermometers but the humidity outside is apparently around 70% with a rainy week ahead so it's not likely to improve. The incubator humidity is reading around 80% at the moment. Does this spell doom for my new batch of eggs? Is there anything at all I can do to reduce the humidity in the incubator? I saw someone mention using dry rice - would that work? And do the de-humidifying beads you can by to use in containers on the window sill to reduce mould, containing toxic ingredients? Thank you in advance.

first, start by dehumidifying the ROOM the bator is in...it helps a lot.
Also, open the vents in the bator as much as you can.
keep an eye on your ambient humidity...it does affect what goes on INSIDE your incubator.

Back
Top Bottom