How To Lower Humidity

Good advice!
Definitely have those vents open as much as you can the whole time. Excellent air flow and exchange at all times cannot be stressed enough .
Those eggs have pores for a reason... they
NEED RESPIRATION the entire time. Respiration ; a process in living organisms that involve the production of energy, typically with the intake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide . ( eggs put off a LOT of C02 during incubation, get that good air in and bad air out) !
To keep those vents open as much as you can will affect your humidity ...and temp. somewhat... but you can make amends to correct those variables .

My thoughts exactly, well, at least I did get one thing right the first time around
wink.png

Ok, 3 cartons is just floor space, it wouldn't leave room for anything else, so I have 2 cartons (18 ct) resting on a turner and the well is over on the side wall...it's really snug in there! I just acquired an old igloo cooler, so I have new project for next time
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
I'm so sorry but don't understand totally about your floor space.
I use GQF sportsman cabinet styles ( no floor space involved, eggs are in trays above the floor ) and used to use the old timey humidaire redwoods before...is my age showing yet ? lol
Anyway, they all have trays with wire racks...makes for lot of good circulation getting to the eggs.
( snug is not always good )
The more room/air circulation you have for incubating eggs in that bator the better !
Thinking about those cartons now, do they allow AIR through the bottom and sides ?
IE: should you possibly consider taking them OUT of the cartons or putting some breathing holes IN the cartons to assist getting more air to the eggs while in those cartons ?

Last edited:
I'm not doing a good job of describing it, LOL! .... I love the old wood cabinets! However, I just can't justify getting one, I don't expect I'll be continuously hatching - but there's a Thermometer Corp of America (Springfield OH) cabinet not too far from me, for $125... needs a cleaning, but looks good otherwise.... very tempting!

Yes, the cartons have been cut down - the bottoms were carved out for better air flow. I learned that here on BYC! Since my turner is home made, using the cartons seemed to be the simplest method for a cradle. When I build the cooler-bator, I'll try to get a real crate for it.

Here is a photo of my bator. The thermometer on the left is resting up against the arm of the turner, so the carton is very close to the wall. On the right, you can see the small water well, with sponges resting in it and the red straw is an aquarium tube with a small funnel at the top. In between the two cartons, rests one row of a carton for the extra eggs the seller sent, and a digital gauge sitting on top.

This is what it looks like from above, prior to adding the eggs and the water well. I don't know if you can tell the bottoms have been removed...

I'm not doing a good job of describing it, LOL! .... I love the old wood cabinets! However, I just can't justify getting one, I don't expect I'll be continuously hatching - but there's a Thermometer Corp of America (Springfield OH) cabinet not too far from me, for $125... needs a cleaning, but looks good otherwise.... very tempting! Yes, the cartons have been cut down - the bottoms were carved out for better air flow. I learned that here on BYC! Since my turner is home made, using the cartons seemed to be the simplest method for a cradle. When I build the cooler-bator, I'll try to get a real crate for it. Here is a photo of my bator. The thermometer on the left is resting up against the arm of the turner, so the carton is very close to the wall. On the right, you can see the small water well, with sponges resting in it and the red straw is an aquarium tube with a small funnel at the top. In between the two cartons, rests one row of a carton for the extra eggs the seller sent, and a digital gauge sitting on top. This is what it looks like from above, prior to adding the eggs and the water well. I don't know if you can tell the bottoms have been removed...
It amazes me that the heat from the bulbs doesn't melt the plastic. Do you have a fan installed?

Yes, there's a fan - you can't hardly make it out, but it's mounted right between the bulbs, the little black rectangle in the pic....

Yes, I was worried about the lights being too hot, but during testing I kept a close eye and constantly checked for hot spots on or near the top. It did get warm, but not near warm enough to melt. If they were the old incandescent bulbs, it would be a different story. I ended up swapping the left bulb to a 40w, the other is still a 100w (equivalent). I also ended up foil wrapping the (100w) bulb that's closest to the thermostat to give the eggs a little protection from possible radiant heat.

I like that it's see-through, but I was worried about heat retention. However, it does really good. Temp and humidity are much more stable than I would've thought. I set it in the living room, away from drafty areas or windows.

I can't wait to start on the cooler I just got
thumbsup.gif
Maybe in the spring I can hatch some eggs for other people
smile.png

Last night I candled one of the dark shelled eggs, one that I couldn't see through before - it's alive! I could see the embryo pulsing around in there
love.gif
I was too nervous to candle any others! I'm afraid they'll die!
hide.gif

Yes, there's a fan - you can't hardly make it out, but it's mounted right between the bulbs, the little black rectangle in the pic....

Yes, I was worried about the lights being too hot, but during testing I kept a close eye and constantly checked for hot spots on or near the top. It did get warm, but not near warm enough to melt. If they were the old incandescent bulbs, it would be a different story. I ended up swapping the left bulb to a 40w, the other is still a 100w (equivalent). I also ended up foil wrapping the (100w) bulb that's closest to the thermostat to give the eggs a little protection from possible radiant heat.

I like that it's see-through, but I was worried about heat retention. However, it does really good. Temp and humidity are much more stable than I would've thought. I set it in the living room, away from drafty areas or windows.

I can't wait to start on the cooler I just got
thumbsup.gif
Maybe in the spring I can hatch some eggs for other people
smile.png

Last night I candled one of the dark shelled eggs, one that I couldn't see through before - it's alive! I could see the embryo pulsing around in there
love.gif
I was too nervous to candle any others! I'm afraid they'll die!
hide.gif
That's awesome! My theory is that as long as it holds a steady temp, has good venting, and humidity is controlled properly, you can hatch in it...lol

I'm an avid candler. Around here it's called being a candling addict, and proud of it...lol I joke that one day I swear one of the chicks flipped me off cause it was sick of being candled, but seriously it stuck it's foot flat against the shell and the toe beside it looked curled over....lol The only problem I've ever had from candling is once....just once, I dropped the egg at like day 17. It cracked up one side of the egg, so I taped it and low and behold, it hatched just fine!!! lol I was so relieved.

LOL, that is hilarious!
gig.gif
I am sooo tempted to candle, believe me! I don't know for certain what I did the first candling that messed up my temps, I think I messed up the foil baffle over the light.... but that's another reason I'm hesitant to get in there, everything's reading about perfect right now..... The next ten days are going to take FOREVER!
roll.png
.... I can't believe the tape worked, wow, that's cool... I have to remember these things!

I have company coming from out of state in a couple days and I've been trying to get the house cleaned up, but I can't stop hovering over that thing long enough to get stuff done!
hide.gif

LOL, that is hilarious!
gig.gif
I am sooo tempted to candle, believe me! I don't know for certain what I did the first candling that messed up my temps, I think I messed up the foil baffle over the light.... but that's another reason I'm hesitant to get in there, everything's reading about perfect right now..... The next ten days are going to take FOREVER!
roll.png
.... I can't believe the tape worked, wow, that's cool... I have to remember these things!

I have company coming from out of state in a couple days and I've been trying to get the house cleaned up, but I can't stop hovering over that thing long enough to get stuff done!
hide.gif
Some people also use melted candle wax on smaller cracks. I thought you were doing Ameraucanas not Araucanas??

No, I had Ameraucanas once, the roo was so aggressive, he was just awful. One of my first roos and the first to go in the freezer! The hens ruled the roost, literally. The other hens were afraid of them...so, I sold them at a poultry show...

I've looked for and wanted Araucanas for years, but I've never seen any around here for sale. Maybe one or two, here and there, that's it. I enjoy helping breeds that are low in numbers and unusual to look at.... I already have a couple people wanting to buy some from me and I don't even have them yet! LOL....

No, I had Ameraucanas once, the roo was so aggressive, he was just awful. One of my first roos and the first to go in the freezer! The hens ruled the roost, literally. The other hens were afraid of them...so, I sold them at a poultry show...

I've looked for and wanted Araucanas for years, but I've never seen any around here for sale. Maybe one or two, here and there, that's it. I enjoy helping breeds that are low in numbers and unusual to look at.... I already have a couple people wanting to buy some from me and I don't even have them yet! LOL....
LOL You want unusual you gotta get into the naked necks and the showgirls or the frizzles and Polish! lol

Do you know if the breeder you got your eggs from breed clean faced to tuft face or tuft to tuft? You know that is a leathal gene right?

I'm surprised you had bad experiences with the Ameraucana hens. Aggressive roos don't surprise me no matter what breed they are...lol

Back
Top Bottom