How to make a chick roost?

I used a dog crate as a brooder. I slid a dowel through the bars on the lowest cross bar, and they hopped right up. I had it on a higher one, but it was too high. So start low and raise it as they get bigger. Make sure whatever you use doesn't wiggle; I had to duct tape the dowel to be more secure for the last chick to feel comfortable. It jiggled and she hopped down. She tried again the next day, it didn't wiggle, and she stayed on.

Ok! I finished the roost! It took me a longggggg time. First I found some chopped wood leftover from a tree falling on my house a few years ago, and then I cut 2 pieces of it. I was planning to nail the stick I found in my woods onto it, but I realized I didn’t have any nails laying around. So I decided to use glue, but no wood glue either, so I decided to drill it, but the drill was out of battery, and needed to charge, plus I couldn’t find any drill bits. So I charged the battery and went to the hardware store and got some drill bits. I then just drilled a hole in each piece of wood, put some glue into the holes, then added the piece of wood. I let it dry and then put it into the brooder. Here are some pictures. I really like how it turned out!
01E09FA1-9A61-48CE-A0D4-00517B8DC3DD.jpeg

AD05168D-8F78-4F3B-89D3-EFE90506D9A1.jpeg

Ok! I finished the roost! It took me a longggggg time. First I found some chopped wood leftover from a tree falling on my house a few years ago, and then I cut 2 pieces of it. I was planning to nail the stick I found in my woods onto it, but I realized I didn’t have any nails laying around. So I decided to use glue, but no wood glue either, so I decided to drill it, but the drill was out of battery, and needed to charge, plus I couldn’t find any drill bits. So I charged the battery and went to the hardware store and got some drill bits. I then just drilled a hole in each piece of wood, put some glue into the holes, then added the piece of wood. I let it dry and then put it into the brooder. Here are some pictures. I really like how it turned out! View attachment 2564686
View attachment 2564685
Looks good! I'll have to make one for my babies this weekend!

Just be careful when they get bigger that it doesn't become unstable when they jump up onto it.

I have wide triangular end pieces so mine's stable enough for even adults to use (not that they would :lol:).

Just be careful when they get bigger that it doesn't become unstable when they jump up onto it.

I have wide triangular end pieces so mine's stable enough for even adults to use (not that they would :lol:).
Ok! It’s pretty stable, but when they’re older I might have to make it taller (I’ll probably add an extra block on each side) Thanks!

Ok! I finished the roost! It took me a longggggg time. First I found some chopped wood leftover from a tree falling on my house a few years ago, and then I cut 2 pieces of it. I was planning to nail the stick I found in my woods onto it, but I realized I didn’t have any nails laying around. So I decided to use glue, but no wood glue either, so I decided to drill it, but the drill was out of battery, and needed to charge, plus I couldn’t find any drill bits. So I charged the battery and went to the hardware store and got some drill bits. I then just drilled a hole in each piece of wood, put some glue into the holes, then added the piece of wood. I let it dry and then put it into the brooder. Here are some pictures. I really like how it turned out! View attachment 2564686
View attachment 2564685
Your persistence paid off nicely!

Back
Top Bottom