How to make a chicken pen fully predator proof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muscovy94, Sep 19, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I am building a new chicken pen and need ideas on how to make it FULLY predator proof. Its going to be near the edge of the woods and I don't want any thing getting to them.

Thanks.

2. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    I live out on a farm and get fox and a ton of skunks and house cats and neighbors dogs and a ton of other things like owls and eagles and what not. All I did for my run was put railroad ties in the ground 8 inches and then tacked horse fence up to the bottom of the railroad tie. It is going to take one dedicated animal to get to the bottom of that. For the coop I cheated and used a old out building that was on the farm. I lock them up at night so that nothing can get to them (owls, dogs, skunks, raccoons...) I am pretty sure that as long as you make a sturdy building for them to roost in and put a locking door most things will steer clear. I dont have the most experience at this though just my personal experience.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The only way to make it totally predator proof is to surround it with razor wire and land mine. Doesn't matter how sturdy you build it, if something is determined enough it will get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by