How to make a cow stop mounting people?

Hi,
I know I’m joining the convo a little late, but I thought my two cents might be worthwhile.
Please note: I have NEVER worked with cattle - only horses (as well as dogs, cats, chickens, etc.) As such, I’m transferring my knowledge of horses on the basis that these large herd-and-prey- animals have similar behaviour. I could be completely wrong on this assumption. That’s being said...
When dealing with whatever animal you’re with, communication is key. Problems arise when people try and communicate with animals like they do with other people. I’ve seen people try and scold their dogs by explaining to them why they’re upset (“I don’t like it when you eat food off the counter!”) and scooping rabbits and chickens into their arms to reassure them when they get hurt. But all animals have different ways of “talking” and trying to apply human speech and body language to an animal leads to a lot of trouble.
People never hit people, so it can be hard for our human-hardwired brain to justify hitting an animal. However if you watch horses in the field, you’ll see they have no trouble with this. A horse lower on the hierarchy that behaves rudely will be swiftly scolded by a higher horse through kicking, nipping or at least a threat of such a actions. You may also notice that following a correction, the scolded horse will not pout, or cry or hide. That is because horses don’t see physical correction as excessive or rude, only mandatory for the success of the herd. In fact, it would be WORSE for the horse to have NOT been scolded, because one thing far worse for a horse than being physically corrected is to have confusion as to where they stand in the hierarchy. Confusion for a herd animal that absolutely depends on a clear hierarchy for their survival (as clear direction is absolutely necessary in their natural habitat when confronted with danger) is incredibly uncomfortable. A horse that receives confusing signals from human caretakers as to whether they stand above or below them become anxious, aggressive, fearful and so on.
So in conclusion, it’s is my opinion that a swift and clear correction is better than babying an animal. Animals like cows understand physical communication - it is their language. It is not mean or hurtful, because cows are not people and they do not talk out their problems or text each other or get counselling from therapists. The cow may feel some physical pain, but mentally, the cow would actually RATHER be corrected and know where they stand rather than sometimes be allowed to mount and behave in this way and be scolded for other things.

Horses, i'm used to and never had a problem with. Cows, i'm new to. I do believe it was partially my fault because I didn't realize just HOW different they were. I also did not raise this cow nor do I know the person who did. Only feedback I got from boss was basically "they'll do that sometimes in heat". That frustrates me. Any animal that large and dangerous should be taught from the get go to never act that way with a human, even a human who isnt as skilled in understanding their behavior. There's not much I can do in ways of "punishment", i'm looking more for ways of possibly redirecting her or I guess retraining her like when you distract a dog while walking to train them not to bark at other people's yards. That probably wasn't the best phrasing but i'm sure you get what I mean

She certainly has been better since I learned more about cow behavior (instead of assuming theyre identical to horses), but shes still the rudest of the bunch and has the absolute worst manners. Obviously her heat is over now but she still headbutts people and is just overall a menace

You can insist that she always moves away from you, and never crowds, or tries to rub on you in any way. Can you carry a walking stick, or something that extends your reach a bit? And obviously, never give her another chance to take you, or anyone else, down!
One of our heifers did that, once, and fortunately, it was to my very large hubby, who was able to hit her in the nose, rather than fall down. It never happened again, either. Very sharp instant feedback worked!
Mary

Last edited:
This is late, as I've been away for a while. BUT, Pizza, it really concerns me that your boss says that 'cows in heat will do that'! I've never talked to a farmer who was complacent with that sort of behavior, in heat or not! I do hope that you've worked through this problem with your very rude heifer, and it sounds like the entire herd will need careful watching, if 'they do this sometimes'.
Mary

I wouldn’t passs this on. You are better off sending the cow to market, selling it, or rehoming it than abusing it. Cows can be dangerous animals to work with. That said never turn your back or walk around behind a large animal up close. My aunt raised cattle and never had to lay an unkind hand to the animal.
Trouble makers end up in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom