1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to make a hole in a non-pipped egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gameboygal12, May 21, 2011.

1. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    This egg is on day 23 and no pipping or anything at all. I have a bad feeling it's stuck or unable to get out. So I just wanted to poke a tiny hole in the air cell and see if that would help it. But what would I use to gently peel the shell away when there's no pip? any suggestions?

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it might be a dud. can you hear peeping if you hold it to your ear? if not, tip it back and forth. if there is a sort of flopping noise, it's a dud and you can crack it open if you need to prove it to yourself (i know i always do [​IMG] ). if there is no flopping noise then leave it in another day or two. if it's STILL not hatched, then carefully crack the shell a little bit and peel away the membrane to see if there is a live chick inside.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Have you candled to make sure the chick is alive in there?

Personally, I never interfere with the hatching process and I'm a big fan of just leaving them alone and letting nature take its course.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    This is how I've made holes. Not sure if it is right. I have a little pick used with walnuts. I candle to see where the chick is and where the air sac is. I use the pick to tap a hole into the air sac end.

5. gameboygal12

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:I candled this morning and I saw it move the tiniest bit. the last time I candled it, it was moving around a lot more. I think it's ether shrink wraped or something because it's not even in the air cell yet.

6. gameboygal12

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:I don't have a walnut pick thing. Any other tool you can think of besides tweezers?

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    maybe sterilize a small nail and tap it gently in? i don't know, sometimes impatience on the part of the hatcher is what kills the chick. i'd just leave it alone. [​IMG]

8. gameboygal12

Feb 24, 2010
    Quote:Does it hurt the chick if you make a hole in the aircell? I'd hate to open the egg a few days from now and see it dead and thinking I could have saved it! [​IMG] My other eggs died so this is my one last precious egg

9. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    try taking it out and putting it on a flat surface to see if it moves

10. gameboygal12

Feb 24, 2010
    *UPDATE*: I just candled it, It MOVED!! that little booger just doesn't want to hatch yet!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by