How to make a homemade feeder? And, is whole corn good to feed?

Pics
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a simple, easy, whole corn/layer pellet feeder for chickens? I would like something that keeps the food dry when it rains. I was also wondering if it is a good idea to feed whole corn?
Thanks!
- Clucky
Yikes whole corn? I would only give it once in a while as a treat. And order that as a corn mash, not whole.

Oh and.....

Do not mix treats, scratch, corn or other stuff like oyster shell or grit into the layer feed.

Scratch is just that SCRATCH it is used here as a way to keep penned birds active by spreading it over a wide space. It encourages ... well ... scratching.
Ours come as layer mash. Ground corn n scratch included. We mix it with layer crumb. We have no issues.

I've read through this whole thread. Wow, it's amazing how we each develop our own feeding practices based on where we live, what is available, how many chickens we have and how much space/free range (ability) they have.

You may have posted it, but I haven't found it - what part of the country are you in? What kind of weather do you have? I did see that you have 6 hens only, and they are about a year old, but what type and size of coop do you have? Do they free range at all and if so, how long and over what type of property? For the feeder - will it be hanging in the coop or outside in the run? Is your run covered? Did you want to access and fill the feeder from outside the coop or the run?

In answer to the posters first question - there are again MANY different feeders that will keep your feed dry depending on what/where you are feeding your chickens. There is a whole forum of DIY feeders/waterers on this site - and it comprises thousands of posts with a whole lot of pictures.

Over the years, I've used a variety myself and have even found that some that worked in one spot, didn't work at all when more chickens added or it was moved to a different spot. Enter - new chicken feeder... Feeders also break - due to weather (we get amazing differences here in our area of the sandhills in NC - just this past 2 months we had upper 70's one day, then that NIGHT dropped to 18* then was in the mid-40's the next day w/ 20 mph winds sustained and gusts to 50mph. THAT's blasted COLD(!!) for our area - plastic hardens and cracks, metal rusts thru and/or breaks - sometimes in one season with such drastic temp/weather changes. Hurricane season seems to have become longer and in between, we often get more rain &/or fog - creating a wet environment.) I want feeders that I can remove and clean/dry out as needed. In 2016 - we had a LOT of wet weather BEFORE the two hurricanes went thru. In less than a month, we got over 30" of water that fell on us - two different episodes were 11" each at one go in less than 24 hours. EVERYTHING in our coops and runs was wet - including feed in closed feeders (extra humidity got in from bottom "trough" and wicked upwards through the storage chamber(s). ALL the wet feed was composted (we had multiple coops/pens) and feeders were set in the sun to dry out on the inside before "crumbles" (our feed of choice formulated for the growth stage of chicken since I have chicks thru older stock) were put back in them.

Since I got tired of replacing the galvanized metal feeders - I make my own. I've tried the PVC pipe ones - found out that the smaller pipe (for chicks) didn't work well at all (maybe w/ an more angled elbow not a 90* it would?). Have used various tubs & bowls - including using carryout ones until the chickens start breaking them up. Currently use a 5 gallon bucket (will hold 25 #s of feed) that simply has holes around the base - set into a rubber tub, a cheaper galvanized tub, OR into a trash can lid. I also have the supplies to build one like posted in the 2nd post in this thread - haven't made it yet. When you use buckets for feeders and waterers - you want to make them so the birds don't roost on them or you'll end up having a mess. (ask how I know, LOL)

In the 2nd photo showing the pony wagon, Hooped coop from behind and the end of the shed row barn (w/ blue barrels & tires stacked against it) - the red feeder with the green bottom lasted exactly one week, then the base broke so that it wouldn't hold feed. YES, I can DIY repairs - haven't done so yet... even years later. Just use it for other items. It did not have a lid to keep what was inside dry. Considering how short of time it lasted & how pricey it was ($25), I WAS NOT HAPPY!

15nov8chix123744.jpg 15oct18house184011.jpg

15oct18chix175445.jpg 18nov18_125358.jpg

So many folks have answered you on feeding the corn. I will let that go - well - not quite. Corn as a treat may work fine - understand that your nutritionally formulated feed may already have corn in it. I come from a family that is borderline diabetic - corn is an ISSUE for everyone in our family. It is a problem with other livestock - horses and dogs. IR in both species is a real thing and corn creates lots of problems. Keep in mind it is not nutritionally complete for chickens either, but their digestion is different than ours & other mammals.

So how to use your corn - not throwing it out -

- if it wasn't pasteurized - plant it. Raise corn to feed the birds on occasion (whole ears - great boredom busters both when first picked and when dried/hung for winter. It is one garden plant that free ranging birds don't seem eat once its more than a couple of inches tall. They might tear up the area, however, so watch for that.

- If hot in summer, freeze in icecubes or blocks and put in tubs outside for them to peck at).

- if your family ok w/ corn, and it hasn't been treated, grind it and use it for cornmeal yourself - corn bread, corn muffins, hot cakes etc...

- put it in socks - heat it up in microwave and use as a "hot sock" - warm your feet in bed, put around your neck; over your shoulders as a deep heating pad. Works great late nite/early morning when researching on BYC. We often use it or rice in "hot socks" after dogs/cats come out of their spay surgeries at work (30-70 animals per day/4 days week)... Works on the back when you have lower back issues & over the belly when you don't feel well (cramps, nausea & soreness after vomiting).

- use as an occasional treat for your birds. Personally, I like to spread it out (I have cracked corn). If my tractored birds don't eat it, the free ranging handful will.

- mix it with other feeds in a squirrel or bird feeder. Be prepared for what ever other animals it brings on (can attract pests or predators to your birds).

- grind and use for worm beds, then use the worms in your garden or feed to your birds

- grind and use in your compost, grinding it breaks it down faster. It won't be thrown out and go to our landfills and will benefit your garden(s).

Just some of my ideas and some hadn't been touched on yet, LOL. :gig

Edited to add: I currently don't have young chicks (will next month). We have a variety of chickens currently totaling - just under 60 - in groups of 3-8. Currently feed Purina All Flock crumbles w/ oyster shell on the side to everyone. All chickens have natural grit in their tractors or coop/pens (the ground). All chickens get various treats - dumped into their pens or tractors - not all the same day - veggie/fruit scraps or left overs.

Last edited:
Hi I love your idea I was wondering if you just got that box and cut holes and filled the holes with the pipe.👍
Yes, I used a a hole saw, it fits on a drill and comes in many sizes. Drilled the hole and the pvc has a lip on one end but not the other end, so it just slips thru the hole. No gluing or attaching at all.
Just make sure when the pvc is fitted in the hole it sits off the bottom by 1/8 inch or so.

Back
Top Bottom