How to make a roost BOX for a disabled chicken?

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
I have a disabled chick that so far seems to be keeping up with the others in growth. If she makes it that far, I'll need to know how to make a usable roosting area for her.

What is her disability?
What does your coop and roost look like(pics please)?
Twisted tibia.

Here are the likely places she will stay during the summer, first ones are pics of where they'll be staying as a chick
IMG_20210514_102758.jpg
IMG_20210514_102907.jpg
IMG_20210514_102919.jpg
IMG_20210514_102954.jpg

The rest of these pics are where she'll be staying as an adolescent during the summer. We use a natural dirt flooring here during summer with frequent cleaning.
IMG_20210514_103123.jpg
IMG_20210514_103143.jpg

My blind chicken roosts on a 2x4 mounted two inches off the ground. My frostbite chicken with almost no toes roosts normally with the other hens.

You may want to consider putting some hay or bedding under where she roosts, so she has a soft landing when she jumps off, since impact will be hard on her. And she may fall a little while she learns her balance, so some padding would be good for that.

My blind chicken roosts on a 2x4 mounted two inches off the ground. My frostbite chicken with almost no toes roosts normally with the other hens.

You may want to consider putting some hay or bedding under where she roosts, so she has a soft landing when she jumps off, since impact will be hard on her. And she may fall a little while she learns her balance, so some padding would be good for that.
Intend to make a secure box specially for her, but don't quite know how. No ideas on design or anything except for the fact that I want to include her own food and water dish.

Back
Top Bottom