How to make a sad Silkie happy

Long story short, I had three Silkies, one turned into a nasty rooster <--Viscous little bugger, he scared up my hand!!) And the other got crook neck and I could not save her even though I tried very hard and sought help from the vet
sad.png

Now I only have one, and she is now all by her self.
All the other bantams beat the living daylights out of her so shes in my basement.
I have been visiting her ever day, letting her out so she can sit on the couch with me, and on warm days I put her outside in the X-pen so she can peck at the grass.
But she is becoming depressed, shes slowing down, and just seems very unhappy
sad.png
Shes not sick, I made sure of that, shes just...Unhappy!
She gets excited when she can hear the other chickens, but I cant put her with them.
I have a coop for her that she can go into for the spring, but for the winter she is stuck inside.
What can I do, besides find her a silkie friend <--Which im trying to do T_T
to keep her happy until Spring? What can i do so i dont loose her!??

Last edited by a moderator:
How close to you from the NY boarder? I have 2 very SWEET silkie cockerels looking for their own group of ladies. A partridge and a white. If you are interested it's your choice or both. Also, willing to throw in a blue pullet if interested. They are all 7-9 months old. I have to downsize my bantams to make room for more easter eggers. Willing to meet somewhere near the NY/MA boarder. Free chickens just throw me some gas $.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh yikes, im afraid im about 3 hours away
sad.png
With my work i wont be able to do that.
The offer was still a great one though! Any ideas on how I could keep her happy until I find a hen friend though?

Chickens are flock animals - it's that simple. She needs company. A mirror may give her the illusion of companionship, but she really needs a 'flockmate'.

Even just one other chicken should be enough for her. I kept only two chickens for about two years. They got on fine.

yup... get her some new friends... some new girls who are a bit younger, so she will be the boss.

I know how you feel though. I had to seperate my little girl out from the rest, cuz the big roos were taking to much interest in her and nearly scalped her. SO, her and Roger are now in protective custody in the garage coop. They've been joined by a faverolle hen and a glw pullet who just laid her first eggs. YAY. But they are in with my silkie hen because I have way too many roosters and they don't go to the camp director to prepare for freezer camp until monday...

ray's two cents :

Even just one other chicken should be enough for her. I kept only two chickens for about two years. They got on fine.

Ive been trying to find a Silkie hen for her
sad.png

But since its Winter everything has slowed down, and its been like pulling teeth trying to find something!
Im afraid to put anything else in with her since my Bantam's just beat her up something fierce.
I put a little stuffed chicken and a stuffed dog in the pen for her, but now it seems I need to try the mirror trick.​

Quote:
Ok, I shall continue my hunt!!!
Im just worried to put anything other then another Silkie in with her
sad.png

If I put a younger bird in with her will it end up picking on her? I just dont want her to get hurt
sad.png

Hehe freezer camp, that just sounds funny XD

Back
Top Bottom