How to make an aggressive rooster tame?

Birdybathtime

Chirping
Jan 31, 2022
Ok so I have a rooster that is fairly aggressive towards people. I have him and a hen that live together. Sometimes he attacks just cause we come by to refill food/water, sometimes it’s cause we go to pet the docile hen. So I’m guessing he is aggressive due to protecting. How should I make him less aggressive towards people?

I invite aggressive roosters to dinner. 😁

I've read on here of people having varying success with pinning the rooster to the ground, carrying him around every time he attacks, etc. The key words here are 'varying success'. Truly I don't think it's worth it to try to rehabilitate an aggressive rooster. There's just too many good ones out there that need a home. And do you only have one hen? I can't imagine that he's not over mating her.
As long as you have the space, my recommendation would be to get rid of the rooster and get a few more girl companions for your hand.
You will be shocked at how much more pleasant chicken keeping is without a mean rooster.

I agree..I have had success with a few..but it can be "painful" while trying..if he's not a favorite or you don't have the time..cull him..rooster can severely injure you..the spurs can cause deep puncture wounds that can become infected .. a child or an elderly person is even more susceptible to injury..

In my opinion, if his aggression is already a habit, you will not change him. But if you react the very first time a cockerel tries to jump you, and you chase him and let him have it (with your foot or whatever is in your hand) so that he is running as fast as he can away from you, then chances are he will not bother you again.

1,2 or 3 of these lessons should be all it takes. If he’s still a problem, then he’s a candidate for the soup. If you have to watch your back around a rooster, then he’s not worth keeping. Roosters that you can completely trust are a joy to have around. Make soup out of this one and try a different one. Keep making soup until you find a gem.

I invite aggressive roosters to dinner. 😁

I've read on here of people having varying success with pinning the rooster to the ground, carrying him around every time he attacks, etc. The key words here are 'varying success'. Truly I don't think it's worth it to try to rehabilitate an aggressive rooster. There's just too many good ones out there that need a home. And do you only have one hen? I can't imagine that he's not over mating her.
As long as you have the space, my recommendation would be to get rid of the rooster and get a few more girl companions for your hand.
You will be shocked at how much more pleasant chicken keeping is without a mean rooster.
Agreed. Perfectly said @Isadora

Ok so I have a rooster that is fairly aggressive towards people. I have him and a hen that live together. Sometimes he attacks just cause we come by to refill food/water, sometimes it’s cause we go to pet the docile hen. So I’m guessing he is aggressive due to protecting. How should I make him less aggressive towards people?
Pinless anti-peck blinders. I have an Ayam Cemani roo. He's always chased my Americauna roo, but recently he trapped him between to walls with a dead end and pecked him bloody. Scooter was real close to freezer camp. However, I looked into blinders and got him a pair. He wasn't a fan, but I am.

He can see fine to eat and chase hens, but he can't attack because he can't see right in front of himself. Made him easier to catch too. Now when he goes to chase my Americauna roo, Henry gives him the slip easily.

My very first bird was a young feral Wyandotte mix rooster who was dumped or blew in on a storm and he was very territorial and aggressive at first but I literally just spent a few minutes with him everyday, being in his space (Which was actually my space) and talking to him and gently redirecting him with a broom or rake if he came towards me.
Also, lots of food. Hungry birds are hangry birds.
He roosted on a fencepost by our back door, presumably for the light, and I just started petting him in the evening once he'd posted up. Start with the tail, or lower back and after that doesn't freak him out for a few days, give him a good gentle pet, pat or scratch. After a few days of that you can usually pet their heads. Some birds like their combs stroked and some do not want you to touch it at all. Basically you pet a chicken like you'd pet a cat or a dog. He had a bit of a crush on me because he didn't have any girlfriends (That'll make them crazy, just so you know), and after a few years he got aggressive with visitors and kids so we had to coop him.
I taught my current birds to let me stroke their chins so I can get them to let me easily check crops. I stroke my own neck and say "Pet you," and they come over and stretch their necks toward me.
The first bird warmed up to me in days, maybe 10-12; my current flock took about a month to accept me.

In my opinion, if his aggression is already a habit, you will not change him. But if you react the very first time a cockerel tries to jump you, and you chase him and let him have it (with your foot or whatever is in your hand) so that he is running as fast as he can away from you, then chances are he will not bother you again.

1,2 or 3 of these lessons should be all it takes. If he’s still a problem, then he’s a candidate for the soup. If you have to watch your back around a rooster, then he’s not worth keeping. Roosters that you can completely trust are a joy to have around. Make soup out of this one and try a different one. Keep making soup until you find a gem.
Okay, but I will have to cull him myself or find someone who will. How can I donate him to someone else's soup pot? MY other rooster (who lives in a separate house) eats from my hand so I know there are good ones out there.

Okay, but I will have to cull him myself or find someone who will. How can I donate him to someone else's soup pot? MY other rooster (who lives in a separate house) eats from my hand so I know there are good ones out there.
Put him on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Or put a sign up on Tractor Supply’s bulletin board. (Usually located on the wall in the way back where they hide the restrooms.)

Learning to process him for your own soup pot is a good idea. It’s a skill that comes in handy. Once you learn how, you will realize it’s not as bad as you might be imagining, if you’ve never done one.

Check your state thread here on BYC to see if anyone in your area would be willing to teach you. Or put it on your Tractor Supply ad. (I would NOT put it in your Craigslist ad!) Or FB. Animal things on FB have to be written in an encrypted fashion, because the moderators delete anything that goes against their animal rights agenda.

Get rid of this rooster and manage his replacement differently. Avoiding messing with his hen and do not reward him with appearance of feed / water when he gets aggressive. I would be able to get him out of aggressive mode and it would not involved violence.

Back
Top Bottom