How to make babies eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SilkieCanada, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Alright, I have a hen that hatched 4 babies so far. She is still sitting on eggs I think she stole some as others laid them next to her. I put food and water next to her. Its been 2 days. She is still sitting there. Babies are still just peaking out from under her and then they go back under. Should I be doing something else? Birds in question or silkie chickens.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can candle the remaining eggs and see how developed they are.

3. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    I mean will the babies starve to death or will they leave the mother to eat the food and water I put near them? The moms just sitting there on the eggs.

4. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Since you can't watch them constantly (I'm assuming), they are probably eating and drinking when you are not around? Hunger and thirst are pretty strong instincts so I would guess they are probably all right.

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I believe it takes about 3 days for the chicks' yolk sac to be fully absorbed, so it's not unusual for them not to eat or drink during that time. (That's why newly hatched chicks can be shipped through the mail with no food and water.) If they are with her, and seem active and healthy, I wouldn't worry just yet.

6. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:yea I just caught them in the food, well 2 of them. So I think they will be ok. They tipped their waterer over so I stood it up for them and the hen bit me.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds good then. I hope the other eggs hatch soon, so momma can take care of her babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by