how to make chainlink less ug…?

1691324519809.png

1691324604073.png

I'd be more concerned about the tiny coop and the predator access thru and over the chainlink.
This too, before beautifying the fence, consider covering the fence with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and covering the run. Also, consider a predator apron. And, growing vines on the fence will help provide shade - and hide the chickens from predators - as well as look pretty

This too, before beautifying the fence, consider covering the fence with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and covering the run. Also, consider a predator apron. And, growing vines on the fence will help provide shade - and hide the chickens from predators - as well as look pretty
I'd be more concerned about the tiny coop and the predator access thru and over the chainlink.
This is the initial reasoning for renovating. Since our birds can’t free range much anymore we started tearing down the run to reinforce it. I guess during this process I realized how much I hate the way it looks lol.

The tiny coop has been predator proofed to the best of abilities (cloth wire on bottom, extra supports on frame) but It’s a tractor supply coop and it’s flimsy and a waste of money. It was originally outside of the run to the side but since it’s flimsy we took a panel off the run and moved it inside, so once the run is complete and secure there shouldn’t be any possibilities of anything getting into it.

Since we were already tearing stuff apart to redo it and make it as secure as possible I decided I never want to renovate again, and started trying to figure out ways to make it look better as well. Especially since I really want to frame the entire run in wood to hide the metal bars. I feel like that would add extra support as well since I could build braces over the top and just have the entire enclosure wrapped in cloth wire.

I think some vines that the chickens could eat might look nice - I'm going to plant malabar spinach on mine. It has red stems and pretty green leaves. I'm hoping mine looks this good! I actually started the seedlings yesterday.
View attachment 3600996
This is beautiful! I’ve also been looking at landscaping for inside the run. I wonder if there’s anything chicken-safe that thrives in shade because inside the run only gets sunlight for a couple hours and only in a small area. If I plant bushes and vines it’ll probably knock it down to pretty much 0 sunlight

Made a trip to lowe’s for some things and ended up coming home with a truck load of plants. 8 azaleas, 6 hedges, butterfly bush, oriental grass, herbs, marigolds, blueberry bushes, ect. all are going in the garden outside the pen and on the front and side of the coop. But that got me thinking of planting inside the fence for enrichment.

This is beautiful! I’ve also been looking at landscaping for inside the run. I wonder if there’s anything chicken-safe that thrives in shade because inside the run only gets sunlight for a couple hours and only in a small area. If I plant bushes and vines it’ll probably knock it down to pretty much 0 sunlight

Made a trip to lowe’s for some things and ended up coming home with a truck load of plants. 8 azaleas, 6 hedges, butterfly bush, oriental grass, herbs, marigolds, blueberry bushes, ect. all are going in the garden outside the pen and on the front and side of the coop. But that got me thinking of planting inside the fence for enrichment.
Don't put azaleas near your coop. I'm pretty sure it's toxic. But there are lots of vines that do well in the shade. Malabar spinach (edible by both humans and chickens) is fond of partial sun. Also, consider mint, lemon balm, and nasturtiums. - Be careful with the mint though. It has a tendency to take over a yard>

Oh - and I've planted sweet potatoes right outside the run. The leaves grow through the fence and the chickens love to peck at it. Sweet potatoes are safe for chickens - but the leaves on regular potato plants aren't, apparently. My run is completely shaded - but outside of it is not. So this works well.

Back
Top Bottom